From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] List of items to be addressed by audit
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 23:23:46
William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-03-31 at 18:32 +0100, Roy Bamford wrote: > >> Having never met you nor spoken with you (verbally) I have no idea how >> to interpret your smilies properly. It is my duty as a trustee and >> officer to point out members rights. >> > There is only one way to interpret a smiley. > > >> Your "now what" is spelt out in the bylaws. To paraphrase what it says, >> now you get about 110 supporters to agree to take action without the >> trustees and possibly without a meeting. >> > If you want to take things on that front, challenge me to take action. I > can just as easily contact two legal bodies and leave it up to them. > Which is surely allot easier and faster, than wasting time on list. > Discussing business matters with people who have little understanding. > > I am not trying to rally others to the cause within Gentoo. If others > are not concerned that between $20-$50k has gone missing, unaccounted > for. Much less that the trustees have left Gentoo in very bad legal > standings with the state and feds. Then that is there problem. > > I guarantee the state and federal government will care less about > bylaws, elections, a 110 member consensus, and any of those things that > do not matter to them. Which by the way it would not take 110, just a > majority. Not to mention I am sure many will care if/when the state and > federal government do take action. > > Please stop with all the back and forth, and do what is required by the > state and federal government. Much less whats responsible and prudent > when handling OTHER peoples money. > > I cannot believe two posts now which should have at best maybe 1 reply > keeps turning into lengthy threads. Why there is so much effort to > defend inaction. Which there is no defense or justification that either > the state or federal government will accept. > >
I'm not defending anybody but I'll say this. When it comes to the IRS and the state government, they could care less about the bylaws or what the Gentoo people think or even intended. They look at what is on paper, or what is not on paper, and the decision gets made as to who is right. It generally leans toward the tax man too. Gentoo doesn't get a vote on that either. I see a lot of questions, a whole lot of finger pointing but I don't see where things are being done. I realize that Gentoo is based on volunteers but if those volunteers are not doing what *must* get done, they need to be replaced. Just like a developer that is slacking and not taking care of his packages, they should be retired. As I see it, I have not seen enough information to show that Gentoo is doing what is required, especially on the federal side. I have to mention the old saying, two things in life are certain, death and taxes. Gentoo is messing with one and if it gets noticed, it may meet the other. Gentoo appears to have gotten pretty close before. Nothing learned if that is the case? I'm not sure, just wondering. Maybe what this thread needs as mentioned before is for the IRS and the state to step in and let us know whether Gentoo is doing its job or not. Is that what is needed? It only takes two phone calls to have that happen. I wouldn't want to see that happen because I love Gentoo but I also love it enough that if it takes a tax man looking over the shoulder of the people responsible for this mess to get it done, then so be it. Someone needs to do just that to get this fixed sooner rather than later. I have one question for the people in the know, past and current: Would you want to see the tax man show up next week? That would be a yes or no type question. If you got your stuff in order, then the answer should be yes, we're fine if the tax man shows up. If you don't have your stuff in order, then you shouldn't want to see the tax man and that would be a no. That is one question I would like to see a answer too. Based on what I have read so far, I really suspect the answer to be no. Then again, it may get quiet after this reply. Sometimes silence speaks volumes just like finger pointing. I been using Gentoo for many years, I would hate to see it gone just because someone, volunteer or not, wasn't doing their job. Dale :-) :-)