From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] What could the Gentoo Foundation do with money?
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 21:35:52
Replying to list as well as sender. Hopefully sender doesn't mind, I
don't believe their email was personal or private in nature.

On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 23:22 +0200, Ewald Tienkamp wrote:
Yeah the idea is only to make things better, no worse. But always a double edged sword.
> Yet I'd like to sidestep the discussion on what to spend the money on > and focus on how the money is actually coming in. I have emailed several > Gentoo addresses with my suggestion over the year(s), yet failed to > receive a single response. (Maybe use some of the income to hire staff > to answer incoming email? ;) )
FYI, in a month or two, the meeting agenda or part of it will be focusing on how the foundation can raise funds. Starting with a yearly budget, and fund drive. But we will explore other more creative ways.
> Either way, why is there no way to donate to Gentoo on a monthly/yearly > basis?
Can't this be done now via PayPal? Or are we not setup properly with PayPal to allow people to make scheduled re-occurring donations.
> I, and as I suspect many people with me, would like to support > Gentoo, yet can't cough up a decent donation at once. When the > Foundation provides us with the ability to support Gentoo with a small > recurring donation, the advantage would be twofold: > - - More people will be able to or are more likely to donate since it only > requires a small amount of money at a time (anywhere from 1 to 10 > dollars for instance) > - - The Foundation acquires a more steady flow of money, (increasingly) > allowing for long(er)-term spending plans.
If that's not possible now, we will surely see about making it a possibility before end of term.
> Please correct me if I'm way off on this, but since the issue of money > was brought up here, I couldn't help but jump in with this suggestion > I've been carrying around.
Please do provide ideas and feedback. That's why I started the thread. Mostly for discussion, ideas, food for though, etc. Although all unofficially atm. Just me as an individual voicing some ideas and thoughts. The board is a few months from looking into how we can generate revenue. If there is interest in that. Much less how to spend it once we do have funds and flow :) -- William L. Thomson Jr. amd64/Java/Trustees Gentoo Foundation