From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Tax return and accounting discrepancies
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 06:56:19
On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 01:33 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 1:21 AM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote: > > On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 01:04 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote: > >> all the rest is viewed as a chore simply required for legal reasons. > >> we dont have people driving a "vision" or "goal" for Gentoo because it > >> simply isnt fun. > > > > Thats very short sighted because lots of hardware vendors have toys that > > would be fun to play with. However typically only RH and others get to > > play with those toys due to having relationships with vendors that > > Gentoo does not have. > > *shrug* having new toys only goes so far
Thats more about being able to get Gentoo vendor certified. Some corporations will only go with software the vendor supports or is certified against.
> > That said Gentoo is all over GSoC, and Gentoo could be funding its own > > development just the same. Or doing things like Debian with Debconf. > > There is much more fun to be had, and way less drama with a proper > > structure. > > i'd certainly agree that having the capability to pull off a Gentoo > conf would be cool
With a cooler name, Genconf, or Econf, or Emergence :)
> > Which is why I never wasted time drafting up such controversial > > proposals, that no one would care about other than to flame. Its pretty > > clear that no one has really cared since Daniel left and thats rather > > sad. > > yes, Daniel certainly was a visionary. it's unfortunate that the > terms he put forth were so draconian. otherwise i'm certain he would > have been welcomed to take over the prez.
I was glad to see his return and stuck my neck out a bit. I wasn't to happy at his all or nothing approach, with little flexibility. But I am not sure he has come to terms that he can never have the type of control he had before. Though his influence could be similar. Then again not sure how much influence or power any president of the foundation would have. Given my ideal structure, a president is just an officer, and they are just enacting the will of the board. The board and council would be the main bodies of influence and leadership. No one individual would be at the top, which is good and bad. Thus any foundation president, would only be such in title, and not sure what all roles they would fulfill. Maybe doing community stuff, managing any events, etc. It would not be the same as president of the old Gentoo Technologies in any way shape or form. -- William L. Thomson Jr. Obsidian-Studios, Inc. http://www.obsidian-studios.com