From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Tax return and accounting discrepancies
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 06:56:19
1 On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 01:33 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 1:21 AM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 01:04 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 > >> all the rest is viewed as a chore simply required for legal reasons.
5 > >> we dont have people driving a "vision" or "goal" for Gentoo because it
6 > >> simply isnt fun.
7 > >
8 > > Thats very short sighted because lots of hardware vendors have toys that
9 > > would be fun to play with. However typically only RH and others get to
10 > > play with those toys due to having relationships with vendors that
11 > > Gentoo does not have.
12 >
13 > *shrug* having new toys only goes so far
14
15 Thats more about being able to get Gentoo vendor certified. Some
16 corporations will only go with software the vendor supports or is
17 certified against.
18
19 > > That said Gentoo is all over GSoC, and Gentoo could be funding its own
20 > > development just the same. Or doing things like Debian with Debconf.
21 > > There is much more fun to be had, and way less drama with a proper
22 > > structure.
23 >
24 > i'd certainly agree that having the capability to pull off a Gentoo
25 > conf would be cool
26
27 With a cooler name, Genconf, or Econf, or Emergence :)
30 > > Which is why I never wasted time drafting up such controversial
31 > > proposals, that no one would care about other than to flame. Its pretty
32 > > clear that no one has really cared since Daniel left and thats rather
33 > > sad.
34 >
35 > yes, Daniel certainly was a visionary. it's unfortunate that the
36 > terms he put forth were so draconian. otherwise i'm certain he would
37 > have been welcomed to take over the prez.
38
39 I was glad to see his return and stuck my neck out a bit. I wasn't to
40 happy at his all or nothing approach, with little flexibility. But I am
41 not sure he has come to terms that he can never have the type of control
42 he had before. Though his influence could be similar.
43
44 Then again not sure how much influence or power any president of the
45 foundation would have. Given my ideal structure, a president is just an
46 officer, and they are just enacting the will of the board. The board and
47 council would be the main bodies of influence and leadership. No one
48 individual would be at the top, which is good and bad.
49
50 Thus any foundation president, would only be such in title, and not sure
51 what all roles they would fulfill. Maybe doing community stuff, managing
52 any events, etc. It would not be the same as president of the old Gentoo
53 Technologies in any way shape or form.
56 William L. Thomson Jr.
57 Obsidian-Studios, Inc.
58 http://www.obsidian-studios.com