From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Copyright assignment and headers in ebuilds
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 20:19:05
1 On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 13:10 +0200, Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > I have a mostly user written ebuild in which he has put his copyright to
3 > the header instead of the standard one so repoman is not happy about it.
4 > What is the model we should follow these days? Since developers haven't
5 > been doing copyright assignment for a while there's so much of the tree
6 > that isn't actually under Gentoo Foundation copyright as far as I
7 > understand it so should we just allow adding individual developers to
8 > the headers along the Foundation? I will be adding a question about this
9 > to the quizzes when we get some decision done so that new developers get
10 > educated on this (probably also need to have this documented somewhere
11 > on your web pages).
14 This topic came up years ago. End solution was that ebuilds that go into
15 the tree need to be assigned to the foundation. Reason for this is that
16 if we ever have to go to court to protect any IP the author wont have to
17 go to the courts with us to co-defend that IP.
21 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
22 Gentoo Linux