For more of a fun thread. I am just going to list a bunch of ideas I
personally have had wrt to what Gentoo could do with money. They are not
listed in any particular order.
1. Provide all devs with a base development system
2. Sponsors devs to travel to events, seminars, summits, etc
3. Sponsors devs for educational purposes, certifications, college,
trade courses, etc
4. Hold an annual Gentoo Conference for all developers and users
5. Pay for infra services
6. Buy bitchen hardware and toys for infra
7. Buy new hardware to install/certify Gentoo on ( PS 4, new procs,
big iron, etc)
8. Increase schwag and freebie stuff to give away at events
9. Sponsors development via Gentoo summer of code, or fall, winter,
or spring summer of code
10. Donate/contribute to other projects and charities
11. Purchase membership for Gentoo in other foundations ( Gentoo
being a member of Gnome foundation, or etc )
12. Provide hardware to devs working on certain areas, device
drivers etc ( like buying a bunch of video cards for those
supporting binary drivers, or odd/expensive hardware )
13. Buy licenses to commercial apps so we can package and make
ebuilds available for them.
14. Provide FREE release media
15. Marketing and promotional materials ( flyers to hand out at
events, banners, booth displays, etc )
There are likely more, hopefully others will chime in on stuff I missed.
William L. Thomson Jr.