From: Hasan Khalil <gongloo@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Current status
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 01:13:19
On Jul 30, 2005, at 19:21, Philipp Riegger wrote:

> My problem always was, i felt a bit uncomfortable with gentoo > changing my OS X files.
> so i like the fink solution, to have an extra directory, which i > can simply remove if i don't like it anymore or that i can simply > change my PATH to have an origial OS X environment. > > Some time ago there was a discussion about those things, which way > gentoo-osx should go, what to do and so. What about this > discussion? Is the extra directory for gentoo-osx definetly dead > and will not be used? Or are the changes to portage that would be > neccessary to difficult?
There really wasn't ever any discussion at length as to whether or not we would support installing to a separate 'jail', as far as I recall -- the decision was always that we would eventually support such functionality. The main ongoing discussion is simply on [the difficulties of] implementation. Currently, we support two modes of operation: the default 'collision- protect' profile (a strict don't-touch-apple-provided-files policy), and the 'progressive' profile (a free-for-all overwrite-whatever-you- want policy). In the future we will support installing everything to some location, for example '/opt/gentoo', to provide the best of both worlds. In the meanwhile, the default (collision-protect) profile sounds like what you're after; Apple-provided files are not allowed to be overwritten when this profile is in use (there is a bug open on symlinks being overwritten, but that is being taken care of and is a fairly isolated situation). As of yet, portage is not suited for what we have now termed 'pathspec', or 'installing to an alternate prefix', or 'using portage as a secondary package manager', etc. Changes are being made to portage that will allow for features like this, and should be included in the next major release (some months away still). The portage team has generally been very happy to receive help, if you're interested. I hope this clarifies things for you, and everyone else on this list. -- Hasan Khalil eBuild and Porting Co-Lead Gentoo for Mac OS X

PGP.sig application/pgp-signature