From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] SheBang script
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:39:43
1 A small update on the workings of this script:
2 I found out that for example:
3 #!/usr/bin/env awk -f
4 doesn't work as the shell (bash and tcsh) seem to split on the first
5 space, and passes "awk -f" as argument to env, which in turn doesn't
6 find a command called "awk -f".
7
8 I haven't found a solution for this problem yet, but I think that
9 /usr/bin/env is not the solution to our problem here. We either need to
10 write our own version of 'env' that does what we want, or maybe find our
11 way through another program, perhaps a shell like /bin/sh. (I think we
12 need to keep it portable...)
15 Grobian wrote:
18 > Brian Harring wrote:
19 >>> The problem with these kinds of scripts is that their portability is
20 >>> not really assured. I dubbed whether I would write a quick C
21 >>> version, but again I stumbled upon the portability question and
22 >>> decided not to do so, because portage, as inner core of Gentoo,
23 >>> should be as much as possible unaffected by environmental
24 >>> differences. Python is (like Java) a solution to that. So,
25 >>> ultimately, this script should be rewritten in Python.
26 >> module, not script is prefered.
27 >
28 > As I said, I'm a python illiterate :)
29 >
30 >> Assuming I actually finish triggers and they don't suck, it'll be a
31 >> passing the func in, not exec'ing a strict.
32 >
33 > hmmm... sounds good. For my understanding, does it mean that the func
34 > could be executed based on (trigger) conditions, like ppc-macos or
35 > PREFIX != "/", pref.userWantsSheBang == True or something like that?
40 Fabian Groffen
41 Gentoo for Mac OS X
42 --
43 gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list