From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] OSX version
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 14:05:04
1 Nick Dimiduk wrote:
2 > Funny. I circumvented econf because it wouldn't build on Panther.
3 > ./configure worked just fine.
4
5 yeah, but using ./configure you don't set all the paths and
6 environmental stuff portage does. Especially the --prefix option is
7 vital amongst others.
8
9 > I don't have a Panther machine to test this on, though I will give it
10 > some time this afternoon.
11
12 I did a preliminary test on Panther to see if the configure would work,
13 and that worked fine.
14
15 > I would like to point out that we have the potential for all the same
16 > kinds of issues as a merged x86/amd46 team would have, regarding binary
17 > incompatibility and keywording. Not the the extent of that team, but
18 > difficulties none the less.
19
20 I agree, but this problem should to a certain extend be solved by using
21 portage provided versions of programs yet supplied by the OS. I
22 personally think that for now we can get away with primarily looking at
23 OSX Tiger.
26 Fabian Groffen
27 Gentoo for Mac OS X
28 --