From: Finn Thain <fthain@××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] on stable and unstable ppc-macos
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 12:37:15
On Sat, 3 Sep 2005, Grobian wrote:

> From a freshly reported bug: > > Reproducible: Always > Steps to Reproduce: > 1. Install gentoo for OSX and not be perfectly comfortable you did it > right. > 2. Add ~ppc-macos to the keywords for the mediawiki-1.4.9.ebuild. > 3. ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~ppc-macos" emerge mediawiki > > Here is where I want the discussion to start. I myself would have done > it exact the same way, and I see it happen a lot. In fact, I even think > this is the way the Gentoo docs advocate the use of ~arch. > > What's wrong with it? > > In a recent discussion I found out this is, however, not the way some > other people see the use of ~arch. Instead they assume your whole > system is ~arch.
Like gentoo was running a "testing" branch? As in, you aren't allowed to keyword an ebuild ~ unless it works with all the other ~ packages? Doesn't seem realistic.
> This very bug reported might be fixed if the whole system would be > ~ppc-macos, however, the user doesn't want that. Instead, the user > wants to use an unstable package, to have a very isolated case, where an > unstable package lives as a stable one. As far as I know, this is the > whole thing on Portage. It allows you to do this, and it enables you to > do this, and it even facilitates you to do this more automated, for > instance via package.keywords.
I hope you are right about that...
> My opinion here is that there is something wrong if portage isn't able > to tell what it needs to run a package in ~ppc-macos.
Yeah. FWIW, I think that if a package is marked ~keyword, that should mean that the deps are sane. i.e. if ~ mediawiki needs ~ webapp-config, then the deps should say so.
damage control problem (not really a portage limitation) in that a whole bunch of stuff is keyworded wrong. -f -- gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list