From: "Dirk Schönberger" <dirk.schoenberger@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] New document: Project targets
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 13:39:14
1 Hi,
2
3 I just wanted to open for discussion another idea I've got to solve the
4 problem of having to update a system with a fixed set of pre-installed
5 components, aka the "Gentoo for OSX" problem.
6 I would like to avoid the prefixed approach (which seems to need changes
7 in the system software, i.e. the Portage system).
8 Instead i would like to solve the problem on a lower level.
9
10 A (Linux) LiveCD distribution faces a similar problem, because you have a
11 amount of static / read only content on your CD, while you are still able
12 to install packages from the internet.
13 Such Live CDs solve this by the introduction of "read-write" mounted
14 CD-ROM devices, using a mechanism called a "union file system". Such a
15 Union file system (unionfs) provides a unified view from a couple of
16 source trees to a result tree. THis applies to all file system accesses,
17 i.e. read, write, list directory a.s.o..
18
19 A unionfs is supported natively by MacOSX.
20
21 A problem of such an approach is that mounted file systems are visible
22 globally. A better solution would be a file system which is only visible
23 in a local environment.
24 Unfortunately real user space per process file systems are not yet
25 available on Unix like sstems, including Linux and Darwin / MacOSX.
26
27 For Linux there exist some work to implement such functionality, e.g. in
28 the Plasticfs project on Sourceforge. It seems to be implemented as some
29 kind of clever LD_PRELOAD hack.
30
31 Regards
32 Dirk