From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-osx] [PREFIX] LD_LIBRARY_PATH issue
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 12:58:30
Hi all,

While trying to get "system" emerged, I ran into a problem with perl.
For a change, perl doesn't seem to be the problem itself to me :D

The problem is that perl links against gdbm which succeeds fine, but
then when running the linked executable, it fails to find (the right)
gdbm.  I think that all packages before perl just didn't link against
dynamic libraries, or that my native system happened to have the same or
sufficient libraries installed.  The problem is of course that the
dynamic (runtime) linker has to know that dynamic libraries exist on
other paths than the usual system paths.  This is typically done using
the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.

I made a temporary hack using a profile.bash file to set the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH for portage itself.  The whole issue triggered some
questions for me:
- should portage "inject" LD_LIBRARY_PATH itself in prefix to make sure
  its environment is correct?
- all our shells should set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, right?
- if the shell sets it, portage uses it, does it?  If so, the inject
  should not be necessary if you require a portage built shell to be
  used.  During bootstrap this is a problem (the phase I'm in)

comments?

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project