From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-osx] [PREFIX] LD_LIBRARY_PATH issue
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 12:58:30
1 Hi all,
2
3 While trying to get "system" emerged, I ran into a problem with perl.
4 For a change, perl doesn't seem to be the problem itself to me :D
5
6 The problem is that perl links against gdbm which succeeds fine, but
7 then when running the linked executable, it fails to find (the right)
8 gdbm. I think that all packages before perl just didn't link against
9 dynamic libraries, or that my native system happened to have the same or
10 sufficient libraries installed. The problem is of course that the
11 dynamic (runtime) linker has to know that dynamic libraries exist on
12 other paths than the usual system paths. This is typically done using
13 the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.
14
15 I made a temporary hack using a profile.bash file to set the
16 LD_LIBRARY_PATH for portage itself. The whole issue triggered some
17 questions for me:
18 - should portage "inject" LD_LIBRARY_PATH itself in prefix to make sure
19 its environment is correct?
20 - all our shells should set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, right?
21 - if the shell sets it, portage uses it, does it? If so, the inject
22 should not be necessary if you require a portage built shell to be
23 used. During bootstrap this is a problem (the phase I'm in)
24
25 comments?
28 Fabian Groffen
29 Gentoo for Mac OS X Project