From: Kito <kito@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Arch Testing Policy and Procedures
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 03:42:42
1 On Sep 4, 2005, at 2:22 PM, Lina Pezzella wrote:
2
4 > Hash: SHA1
7 > On Sep 4, 2005, at 6:57 AM, Grobian wrote:
8 >
9 > Don't assume that not seeing work from a developer means they're
10 > not working. For instance, as a result of recent emails on this
11 > list, Hasan and I have moved a large chunk of our time that was
12 > previously spent on porting/keywording e-mails to drafting
13 > documentation.
14
15 Have you joined the docs team yet?
16
17 > Additionally, a lot of developers choose to work on long-term
18 > projects in an overlay and thus don't necessarily commit things to
19 > the portage tree proper on a regular basis.
20
21 Who is working on what where when?
24 > This being said, there are a good number of inactive developers. In
25 > a previous e-mail on this thread, Hasan and I explained our
26 > inability to take care of this problem without assuming the "Lead"
27 > position. Since there were no direct objections to our taking this
28 > position
29
30 I think I have to object.
31
32 The current direction is not ever going to be good for anyone, users
33 or developers, and if it continues in the current direction it runs a
34 high risk of being booted from Gentoo proper IMHO. I don't think any
35 amount of policy, PR, elections, hand-waving, documentation, whatever
36 is going to solve the problem. The best ideas I've seen proposed on
37 this list have gotten little, if any, response from either of you. It
38 seems apparent you think writing a bunch of policy and shuffling some
39 names around on a webpage is going accomplish something.
40
41 The macos project had docs, webpages, strategical operational
42 structural senior team lead documentation managers and co-presidents,
43 and /. announcements before the alpha version was even finished.
44 There has been little progress made since a year ago, other than more
45 ebuilds that install to / that no users want anyway (can you blame
46 them?)...
47
48 The g/fbsd team is waaaaaaay farther along than we are, and they
49 still have 0 official docs/policies/etc. I don't believe that to be a
50 coincidence.
51
52 > , we will make the appropriate changes to the project page[1] and
53 > begin conversation with devrel regarding our inactive developers.
54
55 Let the council deal with inactive developers, IIRC there are
56 provisions for exactly this problem.
57
58 > Hopefully this is still okay with everyone. More to follow
59 > regarding this in a new thread once we have more information.
60 >
61 >> Currently, we only discuss the way 'up', but maybe the way 'down'
62 >> should be in the picture too. An AT should be considered to be
63 >> 'active'. Where active means that such AT can do some useful work
64 >> on a regular base. (Note: this implicitly requires devs to be at
65 >> least as active as the AT.) If not, while there is work enough,
66 >> such AT should be removed. Might sound obvious, but if there are
67 >> no hard rules for it, noone will get removed.
68 >
69 > Agreed. So far, then, we need documentation/policy on the following:
70 >
71 > 1) Inactivity (Developers and ATs)
72
73 This should be dealt with by the new council and/or devrel, but, how
74 is anyones inactivity a problem (other than the obvious lack of
75 manpower) ? Yes its annoying, but out of all the problems that need
76 to be solved and work to be done, this seems like an odd thing to
77 focus on.
78
79 > 2) Probation for ATs (Probation for Devs is covered by devrel)
80
81 I think there shouldn't be a separate set of rules for macos ATs, you
82 should work with the other arch teams and establish something project
83 wide. We are already in the corner, no reason to make macos even more
84 of a corner case.
85
86 > 3) Selection of New Developers / New ATs
87
88 What needs to be documented that isn't already handled by devrel?
89
90 > 4) What each developer is working on (10,000ft overview)
91
92 http://cia.navi.cx/stats/author/<nick> and bugs.g.o are fairly
93 telling...
94
95 > 5) Specific/Misc Policy such as where to install python modules,
96 > package.mask usage, Unstable/Stable Keywording, etc
97
98 These things should be established before they are documented. Design
99 by declaration is not a good idea.
102 > All of this will be in the form of a Gentoo for Mac OS X policy
103 > handbook, which will take time (specifically (5) above).
104 > Suggestions for what should go in here would be highly valued.
105
106 I think the wiki is better suited for us at this point, as everything
107 is in a fairly heavy state of flux. This also allows users to
108 participate.
111 >> Yes, nice idea, but I think we should look at the problem from
112 >> inside this very team first. I would consider the average
113 >> participation level very unhealthy.
114 >
115 > Again, please don't confuse lack of commits with lack of
116 > participation. Also note that we have only a handful of active
117 > developers. Once we agree upon policy for inactivity, we can make
118 > some progress with weeding out those that are not contributing.
119
120 I haven't been too active in commits lately myself...RL,work and
121 trouble with the 'big picture' of the project has slowed me down...
124 >> This team is also very opaque, it's almost impossible to know what
125 >> someone is working on.
126 >
127 > Like we said, we'll address this shortly. We felt that AT's are
128 > more important than this right now. To give an idea:
129 >
130 > Kito is working on Darwin stuff. I'm sure he can elaborate if he
131 > cares to.
132
133 I guess I don't work on macos stuff? I feel like I've been fairly
134 vocal as to what I am / will be working on. Yes Darwin, but more-so
135 macos as you can't have one without the other. For the past week,
136 I've been getting familiar with the portage rewrite as much as
137 possible.I'm also in the ppc and sound herds and maintain several
138 sound packages, also working on a Darwin port for the pegasos and a
139 LiveDVD designed for audio production. I try to keep my devaway
140 current, there are times when I get too busy with work and life that
141 will keep me away from gentoo for days at a time. I'm not really sure
142 how I can be any more transparent...no, I won't blog :p
145 > Before discussing these other issues, however, can we all agree
146 > upon what is necessary to bring ATs on board? Is the documentation
147 > we have sufficient for that purpose, or is there more that needs to
148 > be added? (Note: policy on converting ATs to Devs is not needed yet.)
149
150 I think ATs are a great idea, but work better with a larger dev/user
151 base. We couldn't even keep up with the bugs/patches/requests/reports
152 submitted by our existing small base of users. The notion of 'not
153 checking the ATs work' seems very odd, if an active dev is merely a
154 proxy for a users work, that user should just be mentored and become
155 an official dev.
156
157 --Kito
158 --