From: Finn Thain <fthain@××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Some Introduction
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 07:43:49
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, Stroller wrote:

> > Sorry to come to this so late - I'm just back from holiday. > > On Aug 8, 2005, at 6:38 am, Kito wrote: > > > > Maybe you misunderstood, what I think is futile is trying to avoid > > overwriting files, and accommodating things portage has no knowledge of or > > control over. > > Unless you avoid over-writing Mac OS's system files Gentoo-OSX will > never become mainstream.
You should take the context into consideration when trying to understand Kito's comment, which was in reply to my post about Gentoo/Darwin. In that light, he is absolutely right, collision-protect is counter-productive. In the context of Gentoo/OS X, I think everyone agrees that prefixed installs would be preferable to collision-protect. If you install Gentoo/OS X, you will find collision-protect is used by the default profile. You concerns seem to be aimed at the progressive profile that some users prefer. It is your choice. -f -- gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list