From: Lina Pezzella <J4rg0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o, Grobian <grobian@g.o>
Cc: Stefaan <stefaan@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Re: openafs on macos, wrt bug #100625
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 18:27:54
2 Hash: SHA1
5 On Sep 5, 2005, at 1:15 PM, Grobian wrote:
6
7 > Stefaan wrote:
10 >> I was able to get openafs to compile. I however do realize that
11 >> init-scripts etc. will probably be totally different, as module
13 >> an working ebuild, it does seem that adapting the current one to
14 >> support this platform is quite doable.
17 Does it install to the filesystem successfully? If so, can you start
18 the daemon manually? There isn't any specific project policy on
19 keywording ebuilds with init scripts, but I can say that there are
20 ebuilds in the tree that are keyworded ~ppc-macos (again, not stable)
21 even though they have init scripts which obviously do not work yet.
22 This wasn't my decision, but I can agree partly with the rationale -
23 init script functionality is a problem with baselayout and hopefully
24 can be solved once and for all in baselayout. Additionally, packages
25 with init scripts may be completely functional otherwise, so I can
26 see a decision not to support init scripts on Gentoo for OS X
27 currently as a decision to remove consideration of said init scripts
28 from our evaluation of packages.
31 > In the light of all these problems, I propose to keep openafs
32 > unkeyworded for ppc-macos for now. As soon as someone reports a
33 > bug that it doesn't work or that it does but with a patch etc. via
34 > Bugzilla, I'd like to invest some time into it. I suspect that
35 > noone really needs it on the current ppc-macos portage,
36
37 This is an open source project without a lead. If you don't feel like
38 looking into this package, then don't. Nobody is telling you what to
39 do or not to do. Personally, I don't use openAFS, so I wouldn't know
40 what to do with it anyways.
43 > Please someone from the list, respond in either way on my proposal
44 > here to have some more weight into this discussion.
45
46 Basically to recap: if the package works as expected without init
47 script functionality, then based on our previous behavior, I would be
48 in favor of keywording it ~ppc-macos. I would not support moving it
49 to ppc-macos until we have support for init scripts. That being said,
50 I don't consider adding support for this package a priority until a
51 user asks for such support.
52
53 Just my 2 cents...
54