From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] xorg-x11
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 05:34:55
1 Lina Pezzella wrote:
2 >
3 > On Oct 10, 2005, at 6:19 PM, Mike wrote:
4 >
5 >> I want to make xorg-x11 available for mac-os or macos (whichever the
6 >
7 > If you're happy to let portage overwrite Apple-provided files (note:
8 > dependencies may cause more files to be overwritten than you
9 > anticipated) then you can do this by changing your profile to the
10 > "Progressive" profile. This is easily done by setting the symlink
11 > /etc/make.profile point to
12 > /usr/portage/profiles/default-darwin/macos/progressive.
13
14 I think some people willl be interested in running Xorg instead of
15 AppleX11. Knowing how to compile it is nice for when we will be able to
16 install everything without collising like fink does.
17
18 >> 10.4.2 and Xcode 2.1 with gcc4 selected, so I will also have to read
19 >> more into making ebuilds to know if you can use a gcc selector for 3.3
20
21 In general we don't consider switching to the 3.3 compiler an option.
22 Everything must compile with the 4.0 compiler at the moment.
23
24 >> Now in closing let me say that I am excited about doing what I can for
25 >> this project, I love gentoo linux, so this was only the next logical
26 >> step for me. Let me know how I can help
27 >
28 > My current understanding is that the only active developer working on
29 > the progressive profile is Kito. If you're interested in testing for
30
31 I'd say there is noone working on the progressive profile at the moment.
32 As far as I know, Kito doesn't have a progressive setup as well.
33 Hopefully the progressive profile will be deprecated eventually.
34
35 > Also, if you have any questions, feel free to send me (or anybody,
36 > although I can't speak for others) an e-mail, or pop into the IRC
37 > channel #gentoo-osx on freenode.
38
39 Not that I object against personal convos, but if you have questions
40 that everyone may see, I'd suggest to mail over the mailing lists, as
41 anyone can respond and learn from and to your questions :)
45 Fabian Groffen
46 Gentoo for Mac OS X Project -- Interim Lead
47 --
48 gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list