From: Lina Pezzella <J4rg0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Arch Testing Policy and Procedures
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 19:22:28
2 Hash: SHA1
5 On Sep 4, 2005, at 6:57 AM, Grobian wrote:
6
7 > Although I like the arch testers (ATs) idea pretty much, I have
8 > some questions:
9 >
10 > - Why have the 'low hanging fruit' bugs from before 2005 not been
11 > resolved till I run through them a few weeks ago?. Most of them
12 > were
13 > small and had no USE flags. I expect the devs that had no time
14 > to do
15 > this in the past won't have time to do it when an AT has run over it
16
17 This is exactly the point of arch testers. The idea is that AT's will
18 evaluate those bugs and the developer will trust the AT's opinion and
19 commit without redoing their work. It does not take much time to
20 keyword and commit a package. The time drain is in compiling and
21 testing the package.
22
23 > In the end, the dev is responsible for the commit, not the AT,
24 > hence I
25 > would not be surprised if the dev does a (non USE flag extensive)
26 > compilation on his own machine before committing to CVS.
27
28 This is probably a good idea until a trust relationship between the
29 dev and AT is established. For example, I rechecked most of your work
30 as a developer candidate in the beginning, but after a week or so I
31 stopped checking and committed what you indicated on trust. I would
32 expect the same to happen with the new AT team.
33
34 > A trust relationship between dev and AT is neccessary too and needs
35 > to be
36 > built.
37
38 Absolutely. This will come from the AT doing good work and devs being
39 prompt about responding to an AT's work. If each developer dedicated
40 just an hour each week to going through AT work and committing what
41 was indicated, I think it would be fairly easy to keep up with the
42 load. You can do a large number of commits in an hour.
43
44 > - Maybe AT's should be 'assigned' to one or two devs who are
45 > responsible for committing the AT's work. This is a natural mentor
46 > relationship as well as QA wise, it is obvious who is going to
47 > punish
48 > you if your work is not correct ;)
49
50 I agree that we should have some sort of probation set up for AT's
51 that do not do good work. I don't want to 'assign' AT's to devs as
52 that implies that a dev is overseeing the AT's work. In order for
53 AT's to help reduce our workload as devs they need to be a trusted/
54 independent group. Developers are not babysitters.
55
56 > - This proposal assumes ATs have time, which devs apparently have not.
57
58 Not true. If I didn't have time, I wouldn't be doing Gentoo. I choose
59 to spend my time as a developer on larger projects then simply
60 testing and keywording ebuilds.
61
62 > I agree that the AT work is simple, but boring. Though I still like
63 > to know why it hasn't been done in the past.
64
65 It has been done by other archs and is recently becoming more
66 mainstream within Gentoo.
67
68 > - Assuming I'd have an AT or two assigned to me,
69
70 That's not the way I'd like this to work.
71
72 > I'd like to have the
73 > freedom to give them more flesh if they are hungry for it, i.e. dive
74 > into why something doesn't configure/build/compile/install and
75 > try to
76 > come up with a patch.
77
78 Having AT's gives us a good way to evaluate potential new developers.
79 My hope is that if an AT does good work and is interested in becoming
80 a Gentoo developer, we can give them "more flesh", as you put it. It
81 should be clear though that "more flesh" is not the responsibility of
82 an AT.
83
84 > Maybe this is dev dependant, but I think for an
85 > AT it would be nice to know there is a road upstairs: if they're
86 > good,
87 > and do what they do very well, it would be nice if I wouldn't
88 > have to
89 > commit their work. (in other words: promote such AT to a dev)
90 > On the
91 > other hand, you still need the AT work to be done.
92
93 Yes, promote the existing AT to a developer and get a new AT. Perhaps
94 have the old AT mentor the new AT. These are all things to be decided
95 upon as part of our policy on becoming a Gentoo for Mac OS X
96 developer (which I think should also be written out instead of being
97 unspoken). I feel that this is a subject for another policy page and
98 another e-mail. For now, I'd like to focus on getting a group of AT's
99 in place.
100
101 > I think the draft is a good piece of work. I'm almost eager to
102 > have one, like a PhD who gets an MSc assigned to him. My
103 > experiences with some bug reporters who were also in IRC to fix
104 > bugs using direct feedback from them is very productive, however if
105 > I slam myself in the face and throw some cold water over my head I
106 > feel myself forced to look at the issue from a much more
107 > pessimistic point of view considering this team and the current
108 > 'productiveness'.
109
110 Don't assume that not seeing work from a developer means they're not
111 working. For instance, as a result of recent emails on this list,
112 Hasan and I have moved a large chunk of our time that was previously
113 spent on porting/keywording e-mails to drafting documentation.
114 Additionally, a lot of developers choose to work on long-term
115 projects in an overlay and thus don't necessarily commit things to
116 the portage tree proper on a regular basis.
117
118 This being said, there are a good number of inactive developers. In a
119 previous e-mail on this thread, Hasan and I explained our inability
120 to take care of this problem without assuming the "Lead" position.
121 Since there were no direct objections to our taking this position, we
122 will make the appropriate changes to the project page[1] and begin
123 conversation with devrel regarding our inactive developers. Hopefully
124 this is still okay with everyone. More to follow regarding this in a
125 new thread once we have more information.
126
127 > Currently, we only discuss the way 'up', but maybe the way 'down'
128 > should be in the picture too. An AT should be considered to be
129 > 'active'. Where active means that such AT can do some useful work
130 > on a regular base. (Note: this implicitly requires devs to be at
131 > least as active as the AT.) If not, while there is work enough,
132 > such AT should be removed. Might sound obvious, but if there are
133 > no hard rules for it, noone will get removed.
134
135 Agreed. So far, then, we need documentation/policy on the following:
136
137 1) Inactivity (Developers and ATs)
138 2) Probation for ATs (Probation for Devs is covered by devrel)
139 3) Selection of New Developers / New ATs
140 4) What each developer is working on (10,000ft overview)
141 5) Specific/Misc Policy such as where to install python modules,
142 package.mask usage, Unstable/Stable Keywording, etc
143
144 All of this will be in the form of a Gentoo for Mac OS X policy
145 handbook, which will take time (specifically (5) above). Suggestions
146 for what should go in here would be highly valued.
147
148 > Yes, nice idea, but I think we should look at the problem from
149 > inside this very team first. I would consider the average
150 > participation level very unhealthy.
151
152 Again, please don't confuse lack of commits with lack of
153 participation. Also note that we have only a handful of active
154 developers. Once we agree upon policy for inactivity, we can make
155 some progress with weeding out those that are not contributing.
156
157 > This team is also very opaque, it's almost impossible to know what
158 > someone is working on.
159
160 Like we said, we'll address this shortly. We felt that AT's are more
161 important than this right now. To give an idea:
162
163 Kito is working on Darwin stuff. I'm sure he can elaborate if he
164 cares to.
165 Hasan is working on autotools and baselayout design issues for the
166 collision-protect
167 profiles as well as ipv6 support for qt.
168 I am just completing my work with adding dylib support to ffmpeg. I
169 also take care of sci-biology for ppc-macos. Next project is fixing
170 esound.
171
172 And of course, Hasan and I are both working on drafting documentation/
173 policy such as the AT Policy/Procedures draft we just sent out. If
174 there is more documentation/policy that you feel is necessary, please
175 start another thread and let all of us know. It's hard for us to tell
176 what is needed since we've been here a while.
177
178 Before discussing these other issues, however, can we all agree upon
179 what is necessary to bring ATs on board? Is the documentation we have
180 sufficient for that purpose, or is there more that needs to be added?
181 (Note: policy on converting ATs to Devs is not needed yet.)
182
183 - --Lina Pezzella
184 Ebuild & Porting Co-Lead
185 Gentoo for OS X