From: Kito <kito@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] env.d; perl with collision-protect
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:45:38
On Aug 18, 2005, at 5:02 PM, Hasan Khalil wrote:

> The Background: > > Perl is almost ready for the default (collision-protect) profiles. > I've modified the latest perl ebuild to install all binaries > (normally installed to '/usr/bin') into another location (/System/ > Library/Perl/${PV}/bin) to avoid collisions. No other collisions > are created by the perl ebuild. I'll make these revisions more > public once I can get them tested more thoroughly (I already broke > Apple's perl on my system, accidentally of course, while working on > Gentoo's perl). There are still a few issues to iron out.
This approach only works out of luck, it just so happens the latest portage perl isn't the same version as Apples currently shipping perl. What happens when/if the next software update decides to install Perl 5.8.7? collisions will occur. Anything that installs to /System is a bad idea IMO, /Library is the sandbox apple encourages 3rd party developers to (ab)use. --Kito -- gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list