From: Finn Thain <fthain@××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Current status & KDE for Gentoo OS/X
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 01:23:11
1 On Sat, 1 Oct 2005, Sylvain OBEGI wrote:
2
3 > Hello, I've been following the Gentoo OS/X project for quite some time,
4 > but I've been lagging behind in the mailing list reading process until
5 > now. Just to give my 2 cents in a few sentences, it seems lots of
6 > efforts have been put recently in some political discussions which
7 > unfortunatly were aborted before reaching a final (constructive)
8 > decision (couldn't even find some proposed drafts), that's too bad for a
9 > project which seems very interesting.
10
11 The leadership discussion is ongoing under the auspices of gentoo-alt, and
12 its ML.
13
14 > Here is what I think about the project as an external user (take it or
15 > leave it, I don't hold the Truth(TM) anyway) : well... actually the
16 > thing is I'm not really a user of gentoo os/x, I mean I've had portage
17 > installed virtually since the beginning of gentoo os/x, but never used
18 > it, the main reason being that what I'd like to use isn't working
19 > (mostly mc and kde --konqeror & kate--), and the second one being that..
20 > well, I don't even know what is actually working and so worth trying. I
21 > think that apart from some manpower and will to test and fix packages,
22 > what could be useful is some "real (power user) use cases". I mean, it
23 > would be nice to know that the project is actually useful to someone,
24 > how and what it is used for, so at least simple user like me would now
25 > that we could use it for that particular purpose, even if it's a niche,
26 > because then, we could extend little by little the tested/working
27 > software.
28
29 As I see it, the project is (technically) between a rock and a hard place:
30 Gentoo/Darwin and Gentoo/OS X. Portage is great for the former (but there
31 isn't much demand), while Portage is not great for the latter (but there
32 is great demand for prefixed (aka offset) installs, e.g. fink).
33
34 > In short, more visibility would be nice IMHO. Talking about visibility,
35 > is the os/x port doc linked from somewhere on the gentoo.org site? I
36 > could only find it via google, but it may be because it's almort 2 in
37 > the morning.
38
39 There is some more info at www.gentoo.org -> projects -> gentoo-alt ->
40 subprojects -> macos.
43 > Now, about KDE, has anyone made any work in trying to have a functionnal
44 > version for OS/X, either with QT/Mac or (more probably) X11? Fink does
45 > it (see http://ranger.befunk.com/blog/), so I guess theorically Gentoo
46 > OS/X could, too. If anyone needs a tester for that...
47
48 I gather that qt works under ~ppc-macos... maybe you should try to build
49 some of the other deps as well.
50
51 -f
52
53 > Last, is osx@g.o going to someone? if not, could you look at bug
54 > 65748 as it's wrongly attributed to Gentoo Linux instead of Darwin/OS X.
55 >
56 > Thanks to all for the efforts you put in trying to give OS X a little more
57 > freedom and more choices.
58 >
59 > Best regards,
62 gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list