From: Finn Thain <fthain@××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Current status & KDE for Gentoo OS/X
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 01:23:11
On Sat, 1 Oct 2005, Sylvain OBEGI wrote:

> Hello, I've been following the Gentoo OS/X project for quite some time, > but I've been lagging behind in the mailing list reading process until > now. Just to give my 2 cents in a few sentences, it seems lots of > efforts have been put recently in some political discussions which > unfortunatly were aborted before reaching a final (constructive) > decision (couldn't even find some proposed drafts), that's too bad for a > project which seems very interesting.
The leadership discussion is ongoing under the auspices of gentoo-alt, and its ML.
> Here is what I think about the project as an external user (take it or > leave it, I don't hold the Truth(TM) anyway) : well... actually the > thing is I'm not really a user of gentoo os/x, I mean I've had portage > installed virtually since the beginning of gentoo os/x, but never used > it, the main reason being that what I'd like to use isn't working > (mostly mc and kde --konqeror & kate--), and the second one being that.. > well, I don't even know what is actually working and so worth trying. I > think that apart from some manpower and will to test and fix packages, > what could be useful is some "real (power user) use cases". I mean, it > would be nice to know that the project is actually useful to someone, > how and what it is used for, so at least simple user like me would now > that we could use it for that particular purpose, even if it's a niche, > because then, we could extend little by little the tested/working > software.
As I see it, the project is (technically) between a rock and a hard place: Gentoo/Darwin and Gentoo/OS X. Portage is great for the former (but there isn't much demand), while Portage is not great for the latter (but there is great demand for prefixed (aka offset) installs, e.g. fink).
There is some more info at www.gentoo.org -> projects -> gentoo-alt -> subprojects -> macos.
> > Now, about KDE, has anyone made any work in trying to have a functionnal > version for OS/X, either with QT/Mac or (more probably) X11? Fink does > it (see http://ranger.befunk.com/blog/), so I guess theorically Gentoo > OS/X could, too. If anyone needs a tester for that...
I gather that qt works under ~ppc-macos... maybe you should try to build some of the other deps as well. -f