From: Hasan Khalil <gongloo@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Documentation Update
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 16:58:53
On Aug 10, 2005, at 10:50, Kito wrote:

> On Aug 10, 2005, at 12:42 AM, Grobian wrote: > > >> Two small things that I don't know for sure: >> >> | Warning: Using any shell besides bash is currenly unsupported >> and most >> | likely won't work. You should change your default shell in >> Terminal by >> | clicking on Terminal->Preferences (in the menu bar), chosing the >> | "Execute this command" option, and entering /bin/bash. >> >> How likely is this? Of course I ignored this warning when >> installing my Gentoo, because I feel hopelessly lost in bash. On >> the one hand, is it known what causes trouble? and on the other >> hand, considering the default shell is bash from 10.3 (at least >> 10.4) also for the root account, and everything is done using >> "sudo su", how likely is it the user will use a different shell >> for the root user than the system provided one? On top of this, >> whenever the whole emerge system is getting into action a bash >> shell is forked from python I think, so what relevance is the >> parent shell to that? >> > > Yeah, I've always used zsh myself, with no problems to speak of.
The note has been deleted in the latest revision. Thanks Kito and Fabian for pointing this out.
>>> Please note that there's probably a good deal more documentation >>> work to be done, but I feel that it's probably smarter to get the >>> updates published in stages rather than all at once. At the very >>> least, it allows for better QA analysis of each revision. >>> Kito: I apologize in advance if I butchered the description of >>> the progressive profile. Please feel free to slap me with a very >>> large, very freshly-dead herring, and submit corrections as >>> necessary. > > Attached is a rough description of the progressive profile.
Okay, looks like you wrote a good deal there, and I like it. I had originally planned on having at least one separate section (possibly one per profile) on just what the different profiles were all about, but I felt it would be better to implement the changes in phases. That being said, I think it's wise to hold off on it and just provide a short description for now. Is the short description on there unacceptable, even as it's temporary? Furthermore, I'm not sure that the installation/usage guide, at least in its current form, would be a good place for this information. What I'd like to see is for the guide to be expanded into a proper book with separate pages on each important detail (for now, I see at least 4 pages: Project/Installation Notes, Installation Guide, Usage Guide, Troubleshooting/Known Issues/Whatever). Before doing anything of the sort, I'll consult this mailing list, of course. :)
> I would suggest getting rid of the section telling users to keyword > ebuilds directly, and instead point them to the /etc/portage/* > files. As more of the base-system packages get the ~ppc-macos > keyword for the progressive profile, I suspect users will be > confused when they see an ebuild with the ~ppc-macos keyword but > still being unable to emerge as a result of it being masked for > file collisions on the standard profiles.
I completely agree. I'd really like to ditch the whole section in exchange for a paragraph and a link to some already existing resource, if some such pertinent resource already exists (maybe just refer them to `man portage`?). I don't plan on changing it with this release, though; I'd really like to get this through the door as quickly as possible since there are some important alterations there.
> We should probably also mention the fact that the installer has the > bug of portage not knowing its installed, so probably just tell > them to `FEATURES="-collision-protect" sudo emerge --nodeps > portage` to avoid the endless dup bugs being filed and the same > question being asked in #-osx.
Absolutely. I'll add this Real Soon Now(tm). Thanks all for your feedback. Any other issues? -- Hasan Khalil eBuild and Porting Co-Lead Gentoo for Mac OS X

PGP.sig application/pgp-signature