From: m h <sesquile@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] porting maxos port to posix (ala openpkg)
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 23:23:51
On 9/8/05, Nick Dimiduk <ndimiduk@g.o> wrote:
> > To re-direct you one more time, maybe have a look over at the > gentoo-portage-dev list. That's where portage development happens. We > just use it. :)
Nick- Thanks for the redirection. I'll spam them as well. We are in the process of making gentoo's portage work on osx as a
> secondary package manager (as you put it earlier). We ideally use / as > the root. Much of what we've push into portage mainline (as bug > reports) has to do with using POSIX versions of tools rather than the > gnu versions. This has to do with portage code as well as ebuilds > themselves. the gentoo/bsd group also does this with their work. Both > of our projects are focused on getting portage running on non-linux > systems. There was talk of gentoo/open solaris as well. > > I don't think I fully understand what you're looking for, but I hope you > find it :)
Here's what I want: If you are familiar with openpkg, I want a portage version of that rather than an rpm version. If you aren't familiar with that I want a "prefixed" version of portage (much like how fink is in it's own directory) that will run ontop of other unices (solaris, osx, linux variants). Here's the thread that contains a GLEP explaining "portage as a secondary package manager". http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/27569 Hopefully that makes sense. I hope this doesn't appear to be rude, I just want to make sure people understand what I'm asking for, so that we are all on the same page ;) Cheers,