From: m h <sesquile@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] porting maxos port to posix (ala openpkg)
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 23:23:51
1 On 9/8/05, Nick Dimiduk <ndimiduk@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > To re-direct you one more time, maybe have a look over at the
4 > gentoo-portage-dev list. That's where portage development happens. We
5 > just use it. :)
9 Nick-
10
11 Thanks for the redirection. I'll spam them as well.
12
13 We are in the process of making gentoo's portage work on osx as a
14 > secondary package manager (as you put it earlier). We ideally use / as
15 > the root. Much of what we've push into portage mainline (as bug
16 > reports) has to do with using POSIX versions of tools rather than the
17 > gnu versions. This has to do with portage code as well as ebuilds
18 > themselves. the gentoo/bsd group also does this with their work. Both
19 > of our projects are focused on getting portage running on non-linux
20 > systems. There was talk of gentoo/open solaris as well.
21 >
22 > I don't think I fully understand what you're looking for, but I hope you
23 > find it :)
26 Here's what I want: If you are familiar with openpkg, I want a portage
27 version of that rather than an rpm version.
28 If you aren't familiar with that I want a "prefixed" version of portage
29 (much like how fink is in it's own directory) that will run ontop of other
30 unices (solaris, osx, linux variants).
31 Here's the thread that contains a GLEP explaining "portage as a secondary
32 package manager".
33 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/27569
34
35 Hopefully that makes sense. I hope this doesn't appear to be rude, I just
36 want to make sure people understand what I'm asking for, so that we are all
37 on the same page ;)
38
39 Cheers,
40 > -Nick Dimiduk
41 >
42 > m h wrote:
43 > > Hello-
44 > >
45 > > I posted in the gentoo-dev mailing list yesterday, but figured I'd post
46 > > here since it is somewhat closer related. I'm investigating the
47 > > differences between portage and openpkg. For those who don't know about
48 > > openpkg, openpkg allows one to install rpms in a sandboxed environment
49 > > accross multiple unix platforms (bsd, redhat, debian, gentoo,...). It
50 > > consists of a way to bootstrap an environment and a bunch of spec files
51 > > used to create rpms specifically tailored for that platform. The idea
52 > > being you could run the "same" components across different platforms in
53 > > your environment.
54 > >
55 > > It seems that Fink and Portage for OSX are providing similar
56 > > functionality on top of OSX. My question is what would be involved in
57 > > generalizing the Portage OSX port to unix platforms similar to what
58 > > openpkg is doing. An example might be that while I need to run Suse at
59 > > work, I could install portage into a sandboxed location and enter that
60 > > environment. This would allow me to run newer components, better
61 > > integrated, security patched, etc, while still having the corporate
62 > > environment if I needed it.
63 > >
64 > > Ideally the benefits for doing this would be to allow many platforms to
65 > > take advantage of portage, use the large ebuild tree (openpkg has ~400
66 > > components), as well as use ebuilds that are tested probably a little
67 > > bit more than openpkg (I believe the gentoo install base is a least one
68 > > or two orders of magnitude larger than openpkg).
69 > >
70 > > Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions are appreciated.
71 > >
72 > > thanks
73 > >
74 > > matt