From: Lina Pezzella <J4rg0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] xorg-x11
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 03:36:54
1 On Oct 10, 2005, at 6:19 PM, Mike wrote:
2
3 > I want to make xorg-x11 available for mac-os or macos (whichever
4 > the keyword is) and with gcc3.3 selected it compiles fine, into
5 > XDarwin, but this would overwrite Apple's installed /usr/X11R6 and /
6 > etc/X11 for new entries. I have not run into any conflicting
7 > packages yet so I am not sure, but is there a way that this is
8 > possible.
9
10 If you're happy to let portage overwrite Apple-provided files (note:
11 dependencies may cause more files to be overwritten than you
12 anticipated) then you can do this by changing your profile to the
13 "Progressive" profile. This is easily done by setting the symlink /
14 etc/make.profile point to /usr/portage/profiles/default-darwin/macos/
15 progressive.
18 > I just know what I read and I read that if a package tries to
19 > overwrite something Apple installed then it will fail. BTW I am
20 > using 10.4.2 and Xcode 2.1 with gcc4 selected, so I will also have
21 > to read more into making ebuilds to know if you can use a gcc
22 > selector for 3.3 because the last timne I compiled XDarwin with 4.0
23 > (yesterday) it didn't produce the XDarwin.app , and startx didn't
24 > do anything.
25
26 I haven't tried this myself, but that doesn't sound like a normal
27 compiler-version problem. It sounds more like something was left out
28 of configure in the run with version 4.0.
31 > Now in closing let me say that I am excited about doing what I can
32 > for this project, I love gentoo linux, so this was only the next
33 > logical step for me. Let me know how I can help
34
35 My current understanding is that the only active developer working on
36 the progressive profile is Kito. If you're interested in testing for
37 progressive, we would certainly appreciate the help, since those of
38 us testing for the normal profiles can't test for both. Make sure
39 that when you test packages you also test their dependencies, and all
40 combinations of USE flags. If you're reasonable sure something works
41 (note: works != compiles), file a bug for the Progressive profile on
42 Bugzilla (bugs.gentoo.org).
43
44 Also, if you have any questions, feel free to send me (or anybody,
45 although I can't speak for others) an e-mail, or pop into the IRC
46 channel #gentoo-osx on freenode.
47
48 --Lina Pezzella
49 Gentoo Developer