From: Lina Pezzella <J4rg0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] xorg-x11
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 03:36:54
On Oct 10, 2005, at 6:19 PM, Mike wrote:

> I want to make xorg-x11 available for mac-os or macos (whichever > the keyword is) and with gcc3.3 selected it compiles fine, into > XDarwin, but this would overwrite Apple's installed /usr/X11R6 and / > etc/X11 for new entries. I have not run into any conflicting > packages yet so I am not sure, but is there a way that this is > possible.
If you're happy to let portage overwrite Apple-provided files (note: dependencies may cause more files to be overwritten than you anticipated) then you can do this by changing your profile to the "Progressive" profile. This is easily done by setting the symlink / etc/make.profile point to /usr/portage/profiles/default-darwin/macos/ progressive.
> > I just know what I read and I read that if a package tries to > overwrite something Apple installed then it will fail. BTW I am > using 10.4.2 and Xcode 2.1 with gcc4 selected, so I will also have > to read more into making ebuilds to know if you can use a gcc > selector for 3.3 because the last timne I compiled XDarwin with 4.0 > (yesterday) it didn't produce the XDarwin.app , and startx didn't > do anything.
I haven't tried this myself, but that doesn't sound like a normal compiler-version problem. It sounds more like something was left out of configure in the run with version 4.0.
> > Now in closing let me say that I am excited about doing what I can > for this project, I love gentoo linux, so this was only the next > logical step for me. Let me know how I can help
My current understanding is that the only active developer working on the progressive profile is Kito. If you're interested in testing for progressive, we would certainly appreciate the help, since those of us testing for the normal profiles can't test for both. Make sure that when you test packages you also test their dependencies, and all combinations of USE flags. If you're reasonable sure something works (note: works != compiles), file a bug for the Progressive profile on Bugzilla (bugs.gentoo.org). Also, if you have any questions, feel free to send me (or anybody, although I can't speak for others) an e-mail, or pop into the IRC channel #gentoo-osx on freenode. --Lina Pezzella Gentoo Developer -- gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list