From: Finn Thain <fthain@××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] on stable and unstable ppc-macos
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 02:01:48
1 On Sun, 4 Sep 2005, Hasan Khalil wrote:
4 > On Sep 4, 2005, at 24:00, Finn Thain wrote:
5 >
6 > >Are there known bugs with the ~ppc-macos baselayout?
7 >
8 > Yes and no. There are design issues still in the works with it. I think
9 > that the general consensus is that it's definitely _not_ ready for
10 > prime-time, yet.
11 >
12 > >Yes, and if devs used stable, that would improve QA also. If the dev
13 > >that keyworded qt was using stable, s/he would have found that the qt
14 > >deps were wrong because they don't include the baselayout requirement.
15 >
16 > Uh, no? The x11-libs/qt deps are indeed correct. Please do your homework
17 > before posting to this list; you should read up on Gentoo policy about
18 > DEPENDS and packages that are in 'system', such as baselayout.
19
20 If that is the case, shouldn't qt be hard masked? If you move everything
21 from arch to ~arch, you will be doing a lot more of that.
22
23 > Should Gentoo policy change, I would have absolutely no problem (and
24 > would actually encourage) adding 'virtual/baselayout' to DEPENDS where
25 > necessary. Brian Harring has also discussed this on gentoo-dev, in
26 > relation to 'BDEPENDS'.
27 >
28 > >Well, moving stable packages to testing also creates a misnomer.
29 >
30 > Again, do your homework. Stable packages are a subset of testing
31 > packages for any given arch. By specifying '~arch' in your KEYWORDS (in
32 > /etc/make.conf), you are actually implicitly specifying 'arch'.
33
34 This is nonsense. There are some packages that are keyworded arch for a
35 reason. i.e. they are different than those keyworded ~arch. If you are
36 saying that there is no difference, maybe you should do some homework. I
37 really don't think the semantic problems here are worth pursuing. If there
38 is a problem with calling certain ebuilds "stable", that is because there
39 are bugs. So what? At least once a month I find a new bug in 10.3.9, which
40 I installed when it was released.
41
42 > >Can someone explain what is to be gained from this that cannot be
43 > >achieved with automated builds (e.g. to weed out the badly broken
44 > >stable packages and check the deps of the ~ppc-macos packages); as well
45 > >as a policy to relax the "30 day" rule?
46 >
47 > What automated builds? AFAIK, we don't have an automated build system,
48 > and one won't exist for a Real Long Time(tm). Once it does, I'm all for
49 > keeping a stable branch. Until then, I find that keeping a stable branch
50 > is way more work than we can keep up with, for all the reasons cited in
51 > my previous message(s) to this list.
52
53 And I explained how to avoid pressure to "keep up", in my previous
54 messages. As yet, no one has responded the questions and concerns raised
55 there-in.
56
57 In as much as you and Lina have explained the rationale for such a
58 retrograde step, that rationale permits better alternatives. Either that
59 is because you haven't published your rationale completely, or it is
60 because your proposal is inferior.
61
62 I understand your predicament, I'm just trying to avoid what I see is an
63 over-rereaction to it. Hence the debate.
64
65 > I don't mean to sound rude, here; I apologize in advance if I do. Please
66 > don't take any of this personally.
67
68 No offence taken.
69