From: Finn Thain <fthain@××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] On keywording ppc-macos
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:22:52
1 On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Kito wrote:
2
3 > >I don't think it likely that apple will open source Mac OS X (or
4 > >eleven, or even system seven). I mean, is it likely that a macos
5 > >profile could ever be anything but second fiddle?
6 >
7 > The progressive profile already is, and getting moreso as it matures.
8 > fex it can/will be used to merge macos components from Apple
9 > installation media. So it is in fact handling the compilation of the
10 > 'bsd' portion of OS X from source as well as managing the proprietary
11 > libs and tools like CoreAudio, XCode, etc. This way, packages can do
12 > things like "DEPEND='>=dev-util/xcode2.1
13 > >=media-sound/coreaudio'" and so on. So used in this manner, portage is
14 > anything but a second class citizen as everything in / is in fact
15 > managed by portage.
16
17 What I'm saying is that you cannot build Mac OS X, Apple will not permit
18 that. If you wan't to install X Code, you have to script apple's installer
19 to do it. That is 2nd fiddle.
20
21 > Even once prefixed installs are available I intend to continue
22 > development in this area to facilitate extremely minimal OS X installs
23 > for specialized applications.
24
25 I applaud this. But I think calling that profile "macos" is a misnomer.
26 That's why I suggested calling upstream darwin, "ppc-darwin". The fact
27 that it isn't called macos doesn't imply macos and macos packages cannot
28 be supported on it.
29
30 -f
31
32 > --Kito
35 > >-f
36 > >
37 > > >
38 > > > >
39 > > > >I suspect the whole question goes away when portage gets prefixes. So my
40 > > > >post was probably just noise. Sorry.
42 > > > >-f
44 > > > >gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list
46 > > >
47 > > >