From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Re: Documentation Update
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:24:58
1 On Sun, August 21, 2005 18:56, Hasan Khalil wrote:
2 >
3 > On Aug 21, 2005, at 07:11, Grobian wrote:
4 >
5 >> I would propose to require the latest and greatest for both
6 >> supported platforms
7 >
8 > Done. Thanks for pointing this out.
11 Another thing that crossed my mind when going to work this morning:
12
13 When people submit bugs for working/new packages, they usually tell it
14 works fine, or in some cases that they applied a little patch to get it
15 working. However, before even thinking of keywording, I want to know
16 whether the package reasonably works. That means, I want to do some small
17 sanity check, or just functional check that the application or library
18 appears to work as expected. I think you cannot expect any dev to know
19 every package in portage, let alone being common with using it. So I'd
20 propose to add a little note on the "reporting bugs" section that asks the
21 users to -- if they can come up with it:
22 1) in case of an application tell us how you can test it works: example,
23 streamripper, do streamripper http://some.host.com/music path/to/bla.mp3,
24 listen to the mp3, it appears to work fine
25 2) in case of a library tell us what application can be used to test it,
26 preferable small and direct: example, libpcre, emerge mp with USE flag
27 pcre, start mp on a file, press Ctrl-a navigate in the menu to search,
28 type a regular expression search like .(build|merge|keyword)+, check it
29 matches an appropriate string
32 gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list