From: Nick Dimiduk <ndimiduk@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] OSX version
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 01:53:57
Grobian wrote:
> Good point. I have a Panther machine, but I must admit that I do not > test everything on that machine. In that sense it would be nice if > there were ppc-macos-10.3 and ppc-macos-10.4 keywords, as well as > ppc-macos-progressive.
I think the cascaded profiles work well for standard vs. progressive installs. It would be quite the fight to get a new keyword for this sort of thing... I'd like to think there's a better solution than a keyword.
> My opinion would be that we cannot claim to have something if there is > noone that maintains it. I think this would effectively mean that 10.3 > would be unsupported, or I would have to let my Panther box working very > hard, but then I need my auto-testing idea to work, because I don't want > to do it manual.
Maybe we need to start the process of acquiring a suite of test machines? Dual-booting may also be an option for some of us.
> Normally, something first need to be tested. In this case I haven't. > Maybe I'd better just give you the patches and let you deal with the bug > instead of committing it. My bad, I was in doubt here, and reasoned > that I didn't change anything to the code effectively.
No worries. I'm very much still learning as well. As far as I know, the only package which uses this particular library is dev-lisp/clisp and I'm the only user who cares about the package. If you broke something, you'll have me to answer to! :p
> As you might have noticed, I'm some sort of new.
> At the moment I don't feel very comfortable and safe in doing what I do. > This is mainly because of the many risks there are as you descibed > here, I think.
This is a community supported project kept afloat by the spare time of people like yourself, j4rgon, and kito. The bottom line is no one has taken the time to work out a solution to these kinds of problems (and maybe there is no good solution) so new people rightly feel lost. I still feel quite lost myself. I like to ask (good) questions in the hopes that they will encourage fruitful discussion. I don't have any answers but I'd be honored to work with other devs and the community to come up with good solutions. -- gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list