From: Hasan Khalil <gongloo@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Current status
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 05:06:28
On Jul 30, 2005, at 23:34, Kito wrote:

> Just to be a semantic pain in the ass, / is an apple provided > file... If you are worried about keeping a pristine OS X > environment (read: still qualify as a 'supported configuration' for > tech support, etc.) then installing portage on OS X in any of its > current forms is not what you should be playing with. Portage > installs files in /usr, /etc, /System and whereever else ebuild > maintainers feel like putting stuff, , basically everywhere a 3rd > party software vendor should never touch. A simple software update > could kill your portage packages/config files...
I'll match your semantic-pain-in-the-ass and raise you a super-silly- remark. '/' is not a file; it's a directory. :P Seriously, though, I wouldn't say that installing/using Gentoo for Mac OS X would void any support requests. All of your points stand, but I just think that your 'semantics' are a bit harder than the reality. :) Opinions, and semantics. The message is the same, I think.
>> and the 'progressive' profile (a free-for-all overwrite-whatever- >> you-want policy). > > the progressive profile is anything but a 'free-for-all'. Its > primary purpose is setting up the environment required to build the > Darwin OS. Nothing that gets installed in a default configuration > will break OS X. I use what are arguably the most demanding apps > available for OS X(shake, Logic Pro, Final Cut Pro, etc.), and have > been for almost a year now without any ill side effects from using > the progressive profile.
I didn't mean free-for-all in a negative way. What I meant is that, by policy, there's nothing that the progressive profile must avoid overwriting. If this policy needs to be updated, let me know. I'm going to be writing up all the 'policy' that I know about so that we can make this sort of thing public. Will post to this list later with updates, hopefully.
>> In the future we will support installing everything to some >> location, for example '/opt/gentoo', to provide the best of both >> worlds. In the meanwhile, the default (collision-protect) profile >> sounds like what you're after; Apple-provided files are not >> allowed to be overwritten when this profile is in use (there is a >> bug open on symlinks being overwritten, but that is being taken >> care of and is a fairly isolated situation). > > I think Fink and/or DarwinPorts are more what hes after ;)
Blasphemer! ;) You're probably right, though. It should be made clear at this point that portage is _not_ a drop-in replacement for DarwinPorts or Fink. I don't think this point is stressed enough, and many new users are confused when they find this. I'm not sure exactly why they get this impression to begin with, but hey I'm just a silly dev. -- Hasan Khalil eBuild and Porting Co-Lead Gentoo for Mac OS X

PGP.sig application/pgp-signature