From: Finn Thain <fthain@××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] on stable and unstable ppc-macos
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 17:33:26
1 On Sat, 3 Sep 2005, Hasan Khalil wrote:
2
3 > * Even the 'stable' branch frequently breaks (read: compile-time or
4 > run-time errors in various packages), currently.
5
6 Well, marking stable as testing won't change that.
7
8 > * As it is, we currently (or at the very least have, in the past, and
9 > will, in the future) needlessly hold up older versions of various
10 > packages from being removed from the portage tree because there is no
11 > later version that has been marked ppc-macos (stable).
12
13 Let them drop out of the tree?
14
15 > In summary, we wish to extend a notion[1] that was previously mentioned
16 > on this list, and put forth that we should immediately replace all
17 > instances of the ppc-macos (stable) keyword in KEYWORDS with ~ppc-macos
18 > (testing).
19
20 How many new packages/versions would this unmask for a previously stable
21 user who now has to switch to testing? Anyone counted them?
22
23 A couple of observations:
24
25 This action would, of course, lose some information about any packages
26 that actually are stable.
27
28 You can also solve the original mediawiki bug by doing the reverse
29 substition, i.e. aggressively marking packages as stable. This would also
30 meet some of your requirements. Automated builds would help too. Something
31 to think about.
32
33 -f
34 --