From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Documentation Update
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 05:43:10
1 Two small things that I don't know for sure:
2
3 | Warning: Using any shell besides bash is currenly unsupported and most
4 | likely won't work. You should change your default shell in Terminal by
5 | clicking on Terminal->Preferences (in the menu bar), chosing the
6 | "Execute this command" option, and entering /bin/bash.
7
8 How likely is this? Of course I ignored this warning when installing my
9 Gentoo, because I feel hopelessly lost in bash. On the one hand, is it
10 known what causes trouble? and on the other hand, considering the
11 default shell is bash from 10.3 (at least 10.4) also for the root
12 account, and everything is done using "sudo su", how likely is it the
13 user will use a different shell for the root user than the system
14 provided one? On top of this, whenever the whole emerge system is
15 getting into action a bash shell is forked from python I think, so what
16 relevance is the parent shell to that?
17
18 | Note: With each emerge --sync, the /usr/portage directory is wiped of
19 | any user changes. Be sure to keep a log of your development efforts
20 | and report your findings to the Gentoo for Mac OS X team.
21
22 Ehm, is this really true? I vaguely remember in my first days doing
23 this thinking a sync would wipe out my mess, then coming to the
24 conclusion it didn't. I don't know exactly how rsync is being called,
25 but if a file is newer on the target host, than on the server, is it
26 overwritten? I thought rsync is able to optimise by only beaming over
27 the changed files on the server side, preventing copying all of the
28 files (550MB currently). Somebody slap me with the man page and the
29 massive number of options supplied to rsync when running emerge sync if
30 I see ghosts here...
33 Hasan Khalil wrote:
34 > To all interested:
35 >
36 > I've gone through and reworked[1] significant portions of the 'Gentoo
37 > For Mac OS X Installation and Usage Guide' -- for those not familiar,
38 > that's our official guide[2] available in the gentoo.org docs section. I
39 > have also made a patch[3] as well as the full source[4] of the updated
40 > XML available.
41 >
42 > Please provide any feedback you may have, so that I can make any
43 > corrections and then submit to the official gentoo documentation team
44 > (of which I am certainly not a member by any means).
45 >
46 > Please note that there's probably a good deal more documentation work to
47 > be done, but I feel that it's probably smarter to get the updates
48 > published in stages rather than all at once. At the very least, it
49 > allows for better QA analysis of each revision.
50 >
51 > Kito: I apologize in advance if I butchered the description of the
52 > progressive profile. Please feel free to slap me with a very large, very
53 > freshly-dead herring, and submit corrections as necessary.
54 >
55 > Translators: You might want to hold off on this until we have a
56 > finalized draft submitted to the official docs team. Wouldn't want to
57 > cause you unnecessary work.
58 >
59 > Thanks,
60 > Hasan