From: Sylvain OBEGI <katios@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-osx] Current status & KDE for Gentoo OS/X
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 00:47:37
1 Hello,
2 I've been following the Gentoo OS/X project for quite some time, but
3 I've been lagging behind in the mailing list reading process until now.
4 Just to give my 2 cents in a few sentences, it seems lots of efforts
5 have been put recently in some political discussions which unfortunatly
6 were aborted before reaching a final (constructive) decision (couldn't
7 even find some proposed drafts), that's too bad for a project which
8 seems very interesting.
9 Here is what I think about the project as an external user (take it or
10 leave it, I don't hold the Truth(TM) anyway) :
11 well... actually the thing is I'm not really a user of gentoo os/x, I
12 mean I've had portage installed virtually since the beginning of gentoo
13 os/x, but never used it, the main reason being that what I'd like to use
14 isn't working (mostly mc and kde --konqeror & kate--), and the second
15 one being that.. well, I don't even know what is actually working and so
16 worth trying.
17 I think that apart from some manpower and will to test and fix packages,
18 what could be useful is some "real (power user) use cases". I mean, it
19 would be nice to know that the project is actually useful to someone,
20 how and what it is used for, so at least simple user like me would now
21 that we could use it for that particular purpose, even if it's a niche,
22 because then, we could extend little by little the tested/working
23 software. In short, more visibility would be nice IMHO.
24 Talking about visibility, is the os/x port doc linked from somewhere on
25 the gentoo.org site? I could only find it via google, but it may be
26 because it's almort 2 in the morning.
27
28 Now, about KDE, has anyone made any work in trying to have a functionnal
29 version for OS/X, either with QT/Mac or (more probably) X11? Fink does
30 it (see http://ranger.befunk.com/blog/), so I guess theorically Gentoo
31 OS/X could, too. If anyone needs a tester for that...
32
33 Last, is osx@g.o going to someone? if not, could you look at bug
34 65748 as it's wrongly attributed to Gentoo Linux instead of Darwin/OS X.
35
36 Thanks to all for the efforts you put in trying to give OS X a little
37 more freedom and more choices.
38
39 Best regards,
40 --