From: dirk.schoenberger@×××××××××.de
To: "gentoo-osx@l.g.o" <gentoo-osx@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-osx] Followup to: The road ahead?
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 22:23:12
1 Hi,
2
3 some time ago there was a lengthy thread about the road ahead, with some
4 interesting discussion about a hopefully better integration of Gentoo and
5 OSX. In some unrelated, but perhaps nevertheless interesting events I
6 stumbled across a couple of interesting topic which perhaps could help in
7 achieving such better integration.
8
9 JUst FYI, a better integration of Gentoo into Aqua/OSX starts at least
10 that I could use some kind of GUI, instead of having to resort to the
11 command line ;)
12
13 A good starting point would be the following link
14 http://livingcode.blogspot.com/2004_11_01_livingcode_archive.html
15
16 The idea is to provide GUI frontends to Gentoo applications using Python
17 bindings to AppKit/Cocoa, and the use of Renaissance, a declarative GUI
18 approach implemented as part of the GNUstep project
19 (http://www.gnustep.org)
20
21 renaissance is already in Gentoo, in gnustep-libs. There exists no
22 ppc-macos ports (hopefully using MacoSX/Cocoa functionality instead of
23 Gnustep), so this would perhaps a good staring point.
24 http://livingcode.blogspot.com/2004_11_01_livingcode_archive.html
25
26 Other missing parts are pyObjc (http://pyobjc.sourceforge.net/) and py2app
27 (http://undefined.org/python/py2app.html), which both are not yet
28 integrated into gentoo.
29
30 For my experiments I used a binary distribution of renaissance, a .mpkg of
31 pyObjc, and a source archive of py2app. All of them installed cleanly, so
32 in theory rthey should be ebuildable without big problems.
33
34 Comments?
35
36 Regards