From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] USERLAND thoughts for gentoo on osx
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 19:27:23
1 On 24-08-2006 15:06:42 -0400, Armando Di Cianno wrote:
2 > fafhrd: anyone out there see my message on this channel yesterday?
3 > [3:00pm] fafhrd: I'm curious about what others feel the "right"
4 > userland for gentoo/portage on osx is
5 > [3:00pm] fafhrd: meaning, sure, we need to deal with
6 > USERLAND="BSD" (or "Darwin" as it were) when we bootstrap
7 > [3:01pm] fafhrd: but, after that, can't the equivalent of `emerge
8 > sysem -e` be run to basically free the libraries from linking against
9 > the base system?
10 > [3:01pm] fafhrd: anyways, this all started because the current
11 > bootstrap-prefix script attempts to build Apple's gcc, which fails,
12 > but gnu gcc builds fine for me
13 > [3:02pm] fafhrd: so I'd like to get some consensus about what kind of
14 > USERLAND we're aiming for, as I keep hacking on this stuff
15 > [3:02pm] fafhrd: personally, I'd like to move towards building it's
16 > own internal GNU style USERLAND
17 > [3:02pm] fafhrd: as I have no urge to follow Apple willy nilly
18 > [3:02pm] fafhrd: thoughts?
19
20 I assume you are on a MacTel machine, as why GCC won't build. As for
21 the userland, yes we aim for a GNU userland, because I have the opinion
22 that the Gentoo mainline tree is written for that userland. Diego does
23 a great job making the tree able to cope with a BSD userland, but to
24 avoid all these little annoyances with find, awk, etc. in prefix it is
25 only a small effort to make it a GNU userland.
28 Fabian Groffen
29 Gentoo for Mac OS X Project
30 --
31 gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list