From: Kito <kito@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Some Introduction
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:20:40
1 On Aug 16, 2005, at 1:14 AM, Stroller wrote:
4 > Sorry to come to this so late - I'm just back from holiday.
5 >
6 > On Aug 8, 2005, at 6:38 am, Kito wrote:
7 >>
8 >> Maybe you misunderstood, what I think is futile is trying to avoid
9 >> overwriting files, and accommodating things portage has no
10 >> knowledge of or control over.
11 >
12 > Unless you avoid over-writing Mac OS's system files Gentoo-OSX will
13 > never become mainstream. I don't know if this is of interest to you
14 > or not, but I for one will never install Gentoo-OSX unless it
15 > installs safely into an /opt (or similar) directory - overwriting
16 > Apple's system files is _bound_ to break something eventually.
17
18 Yeah, again I'm not saying overwriting files is the way to go. I'm
19 not sure how much more clear I can be on that. I'm saying installing
20 things to / and trying to avoid overwriting files is not a good idea.
21
22 So, again, just to make sure I'm being understood, installing to an
23 alternate prefix, i.e. /gentoo, /usr/local, /opt, whatever, is the
24 way to go and make portage a viable tool for OS X users. As Finn
25 pointed out in earlier mails, not using a prefix like Fink and
26 DarwinPorts was never a strategic decision, but a practical one. Its
27 all that portage knew how to do.
28
29 Now, as far as portage having knowledge about what software is
30 installed...if it lived in its own prefix, that wouldn't be an issue,
31 as all package dependencies would be handled and installed by
32 portage, avoiding linking against OS X system libs as much as
33 possible. This would make it possible for instance to have /gentoo on
34 say an external drive that could be mounted and used on virtually any
35 Mac OSX system, regardless of system updates, etc.
36
37 That being said, I feel like the name for such a tool shouldn't be
38 called 'Gentoo for OS X', as thats a very misleading name which seems
39 to cause a lot of confusion amongst users and developers alike. A
40 much more apt title IMHO would be 'Portage for Mac OS X', and leave
41 the title 'Gentoo for Mac OS X' for the profiles that actually manage
42 system files.
43
44 --Kito
45