From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Re: [RFC] Separate alt-prefix repo for base-system packages.
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 23:14:25
On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 01:32:04AM +1000, Finn Thain wrote:
> [...]
Alright, so I'm just being a tool 'coz I thought you were talking about dynamic mapping (vs dev managed mappings). Nevermind me :)
> BTW, do repos share a namespace? Presented with the same cpv in several > repos, is portage's behaviour defined yet?
repo's have their own *total* namespace now; an overlay + repo is different though since an overlay is slaved to a repo. <=2.1 basically lacks any true support for N repos; you can have a portdir(+overlays), a vdb, and a bintree. Rewrite has no such restriction built into it.
> My feeling is that the burden of managing the mappings is better than the > burden of managing one package.provided for mac os 10.3, alongside another > for 10.4, etc. (If I'm wrong about that, then this exercise is pointless.)
Actually, I agree; it's cleaner then just autoassuming stuff is there.
> Did I read something about the rewrite being modular? Could the shim/query > take the form of a portage plugin that implements the query-apple-packages > feature? Obviously, if implemented the way I descibed above, it would need > to be intimate with certain ebuilds' environments.
Well, considering I'm seriously considering when/if rewrite is released, it's released as two packages; portage-core, and portage-ebuild... yes. Very modular. There pretty much is one point of required entry into the code; getting the config obj- from there it loads the code it needs, instantiating objects on the fly. Aside from the entry point/config obj, everything else is intended to be configurable. ~harring