From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Re: [RFC] Separate alt-prefix repo for base-system packages.
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 23:14:25
1 On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 01:32:04AM +1000, Finn Thain wrote:
2 > > > > Reasoning is, how do you know that pkg xyz is actually the package
3 > > > > you're after?
4 > > Re-inserted the quote to clarify what I'm talking about; mapping another
5 > > pkg managers db into our own requires either a lot of human
6 > > intervention, or some dodgy rules that somewhat manage it, with bugs.
7 >
8 > OK, I see what you mean. You're asking, how does portage know that vendor
9 > package xyz is the portage package abc?
10 >
11 > Short answer is package.mask, meta-packages and name mapping.
12 >
13 > A particular vendor package version is a known-good dep, as tested by
14 > devs, otherwise it is masked. E.g. package.mask says
15 > >vendor-sun/app-arch/cpio-x.y.z if no higher version has been tested. In
16 > mac os, automated updates mean that most of the time, there will be some
17 > vendor packages that the tree hasn't been tested against. These have to be
18 > masked until the user does emerge sync.
19
20 Alright, so I'm just being a tool 'coz I thought you were talking
21 about dynamic mapping (vs dev managed mappings). Nevermind me :)
22
23 > BTW, do repos share a namespace? Presented with the same cpv in several
24 > repos, is portage's behaviour defined yet?
25 repo's have their own *total* namespace now; an overlay + repo is
26 different though since an overlay is slaved to a repo.
27
28 <=2.1 basically lacks any true support for N repos; you can have a
29 portdir(+overlays), a vdb, and a bintree. Rewrite has no such
30 restriction built into it.
31
32 > My feeling is that the burden of managing the mappings is better than the
33 > burden of managing one package.provided for mac os 10.3, alongside another
34 > for 10.4, etc. (If I'm wrong about that, then this exercise is pointless.)
35 Actually, I agree; it's cleaner then just autoassuming stuff is there.
36
37 > Did I read something about the rewrite being modular? Could the shim/query
38 > take the form of a portage plugin that implements the query-apple-packages
39 > feature? Obviously, if implemented the way I descibed above, it would need
40 > to be intimate with certain ebuilds' environments.
41
42 Well, considering I'm seriously considering when/if rewrite is
43 released, it's released as two packages; portage-core, and
44 portage-ebuild... yes. Very modular.
45
46 There pretty much is one point of required entry into the code;
47 getting the config obj- from there it loads the code it needs,
48 instantiating objects on the fly. Aside from the entry point/config
49 obj, everything else is intended to be configurable.
50
51 ~harring