From: Mike S <michael_six@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] xorg-x11
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 07:10:15
1 Kito wrote:
4 > On Oct 12, 2005, at 12:34 AM, Grobian wrote:
5 >
6 >> Lina Pezzella wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> On Oct 10, 2005, at 6:19 PM, Mike wrote:
9 >>>
10 >>>> I want to make xorg-x11 available for mac-os or macos (whichever the
11 >>>>
12 >>> If you're happy to let portage overwrite Apple-provided files
13 >>> (note: dependencies may cause more files to be overwritten than you
14 >>> anticipated) then you can do this by changing your profile to the
15 >>> "Progressive" profile. This is easily done by setting the symlink
16 >>> /etc/make.profile point to /usr/portage/profiles/default-
17 >>> darwin/macos/progressive.
18 >>>
19 >>
20 >> I think some people willl be interested in running Xorg instead of
21 >> AppleX11. Knowing how to compile it is nice for when we will be
22 >> able to install everything without collising like fink does.
25 > Efforts might be best spent on the modular xorg ebuilds, as I'm sure
26 > the gentoo xorg maintainers will want to ditch the monolithic ebuilds
27 > at some point down the road...although there might be too much voodoo
28 > in getting XDarwin.app etc. installed properly for the gentoo xorg
29 > maintainers to stomach, so perhaps xorg-darwin is a possibility...
32 >>> My current understanding is that the only active developer working
33 >>> on the progressive profile is Kito. If you're interested in testing
34 >>> for
35 >>>
36 >>
37 >> I'd say there is noone working on the progressive profile at the
38 >> moment. As far as I know, Kito doesn't have a progressive setup as
39 >> well. Hopefully the progressive profile will be deprecated eventually.
42 > Not sure what gave you that idea...its the only profile for OS X I
43 > find useful :p I know a few others are using it as well. Its
44 > basically the proving ground for the portage base-system packages.
45 > Its also whats used for Darwin development, as building Darwin system
46 > packages requires a heavily modified OS X environment. I don't plan
47 > on deprecating it at all, if you feel strongly otherwise, maybe you
48 > should split the profiles up (again) and let the collision-protect
49 > profiles that install packages to / (non-prefixed) live in profiles/
50 > default-macos and leave profiles/default-darwin for, well, darwin.
51 >
52 > --Kito
53 >
54 ok Kito, I know you, and for those whom I do not recognize, on the IRC
55 channel I am lost626. I know I have talked to a ReJ and an R2D2, and
56 robinp, but I think I may be forgetting a couple. I have tentatively
57 recruited a friend of mine to help who is just waiting for prefix
58 support in portage to use it. He is the one (genious) who "broke me in"
59 and "taught me the ropes" on the GNOME 2.10 fink port. He also figured
60 out how to hardcode some libraries in the pango package to get it to
61 compile right.
62
63 As for XDarwin It is my X11 of choice on OS X. As for getting it to
64 compile, there is no configure phase that I know of, so Lina, I am
65 confused there. actually the only time I have built it in a package
66 manager is yesterday on fink, where I just modified the package to make
67 -j3 World. otherwise I have done it myself with make World and sudo
68 make install, so I don't know what the problem with it would be.
69
70 And I am thinking it may be a compiler error because I have found a few
71 gcc4 patches for xorg, and I have also built the same version of xorg on
72 jaguar with gcc3.3. I tried compiling it myself without changing my gcc
73 select to 3.3 and as I stated there was no startx actions when run, and
74 no /Applications/XDarwin.app produced. I double checked the fink
75 package and even that has a gcc select 3 call in it, so that further
76 reinforced my thinking of it being a problem with gcc4. Though XDarwin
77 will most likely be easy I would only like to do it if no one else can,
78 or has a faster computer, since in OS X it takes me 7 hours or more to
79 compile it. I think I might be out of developing for OS X for a couple
80 days as I am working on a few Linux From Scratch systems, just to get
81 the real nitty gritty on a unix type platform.
82
83 I am also inclined to wait for the next release for prefix support which
84 opens up a few new tricks that I am familiar with. Also Tony asked me,
85 and I would like to know if there is an experimental portage out there
86 that has prefix support in it, that we could compile and play with, and
87 if not when the next release is due.
88
89 Mike
90 --