From: Hasan Khalil <gongloo@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Cc: Lina Catherine Pezzella <lina.pezzella@×××××.edu>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Some Introduction
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:36:50
1 On Aug 7, 2005, at 05:22, Grobian wrote:
2
3 > Anywayz, for those that don't know, I'm a new developer on the OSX
4 > team.
5
6 If they don't know, they've been oblivious of your name all over
7 bugzilla. Good work! :)
8
9 > Before going into a long mail, I'll apologise upfront for my
10 > English, it's horrible.
11
12 We know your English is good since you make the same spelling
13 mistakes us 'native speakers' make. *mumbles something about how us
14 native speakers aren't so native*
15
16 > I like to contribute some useful things here, and I hope I can find
17 > a corner where I can be that useful as I hope to be.
18
19 We're all here on our own free will (hopefully). Those that aren't,
20 and realize it, generally leave pretty quickly. You've seen this on
21 gentoo-dev@. As such, we do what we're interested in. Your job as a
22 dev is to enjoy what you do while avoiding tree breakage. If you're
23 able to, you might even fix a few things along the way, or improve
24 the project.
25
26 Take Lina. Lina is a biologist first, computer scientist second. As a
27 result, she took an immediate interest in the sci-biology category.
28 Most of the packages there have been ported now, and are maintained
29 by her for ppc-macos. She keeps on top of the relevant RSS feeds, and
30 keeps track of stable-by dates in iCal. She even maintains a sci-
31 biology package or two. This is her interest, and her first priority
32 with respect to Gentoo.
33
34 While Lina enjoys more instantaneous gratification, I'm more happy
35 working on long-term goals and slowly making progress one step at a
36 time. My interests are different from hers, and we work in different
37 areas. This is not to say that we don't work together, just that we
38 work on different sides of the same coin, at the same time, sometimes
39 cooperating towards a common goal.
40
41 You will have to find a corner for yourself. If anyone tells you what
42 to do, you may or may not like it. You are free to find any corner
43 that you are sure to like. If you think you like something and change
44 your mind, just move to another corner. You seem to be into the DB
45 side of things, perhaps you'd enjoy porting and maintaining some
46 database services (mysql comes to mind) for ppc-macos. The only
47 person who knows what you're enjoy is you. Again, devs are here to
48 have a good time, not to be slaves.
49
50 > At the moment I have the terrible feeling of being useless, doing
51 > nothing struggling with everything that gets on my path.
52
53 The majority of our "struggling" comes from inadequate upstream
54 support for Darwin. This means that the most important thing you can
55 do in terms of porting software is to send all your source patches,
56 no matter how trivial, upstream. Sending patches upstream is
57 nontrivial itself: you have to check out the latest source tree from
58 CVS (or svn), get it working, and send back the results. You will
59 probably end up porting less packages per unit time this way, but it
60 is better in the long run. It's better to patch something once than
61 for every successive version that comes out. That way, we struggle
62 once per package.
63
64 We obviously can't say why you're feeling useless, but we know that
65 we personally get that feeling due to the slow nature of making long-
66 term progress as an arch. Large change takes time, especially when
67 those changes involve portage itself. As developers, we don't feel
68 like we're making much progress by porting a few libraries and
69 applications, but, to the user base, this is more progress than those
70 large long-term projects Hasan is so fond of. Imagine how many people
71 you'd affect by porting mysql, for example.
72
73 > I'm not really an IRC guy. I know what it is, but in general it's
74 > great in distracting you and stopping you from doing what you have
75 > to do. Due to my time zone, I usually miss the important
76 > discussions too. Hence, I'm thinking of a drastical reduction of
77 > my IRC online time. I have the feeling most of the OSX staff is in
78 > the #-osx channel, but it simply doesn't work out so well for me. I
79 > prefer the asynchronous way of email, it also allows me to take
80 > some more time to type a response. As a non-native English typer,
81 > I need more time to come up with responses. And usually, it's time
82 > zone free! ;)
83
84 There are plenty of devs with exactly the same stance. Don't worry --
85 that's perfectly fine. There's no _requirement_ for you to be
86 available via IRC.
87
88 If you've noticed, you rarely see us on IRC, except when we need to
89 get in contact with other developers. Like you, we feel it's more
90 distracting than helpful most of the time. Just drop in once in a
91 while and let us know that you're still alive, or send an e-mail out
92 every so often. Your relations thus far have been flawless.
93
94 > I got a fuzzy image of what the OSX team currently consists of.
95 > It's far from a unity, more a group of people somewhere related
96 > because of a shared OS, most of the time. Personally I'm a bit lost
97 > in what the general consensus would be among the team members.
98 > Maybe there isn't even one. There is progressive, darwin, osx,
99 > etc. the arch ppc-macos seems to be a multi-headed dragon.
100
101 Your image is essentially correct, in our opinion. Right now, we have
102 about as many developers as we do profiles -- well, maybe not quite.
103 Your perception of the team being far from unity probably stems from
104 the fact that we more or less have one or two developers working on
105 different facets of the OSX port. Kito and Robert (we think) are
106 working on the darwin port and the progressive profile. JoseJX works
107 on perl and baselayout, mainly on his free time from the ppc team. We
108 (Lina and Hasan) work on the collision-protect profile, for which you
109 were recruited.
110
111 We hope to increase the number of developers for the Gentoo for Mac
112 OS X project, but we're doing so slowly since our last recruitment
113 process was a disaster (one that Hasan and I were part of as new devs
114 brought in during that time). You were our first pick, so you're
115 seeing the beginning of the process to get a coherent team together.
116
117 Along those lines, we probably need to elect a new strategic and
118 operational lead as Pieter (pvdabeel) has other priorities at this
119 time, and Ciaran (ciaranm), a senior developer that stepped in to
120 help us with QA and operations initially when Pieter got too busy,
121 has decided to no longer act in that capacity.
122
123 We have been doing our best to pick up the slack and start some of
124 the processes that the leads are responsible for, such as recruitment
125 and interacting with the portage developers to get necessary bugs
126 ironed out.
127
128 We would like to hold an election for the positions that we have been
129 more-or-less filling unofficially, as the new metastructure suggests.
130 We would like to be candidates for Operation Lead (Lina) and
131 Strategic Lead (Hasan). Obviously, anyone else who wants the position
132 should announce candidacy. We don't suppose that it is necessary
133 (pretty much everyone on the team knows each other fairly well by
134 now), but if anyone would like a short blurb on why we feel we would
135 be good candidates for the positions, just let us know. Is a week
136 enough time to allow anouncements for candidacy? We feel that a long
137 process isn't necessary with so few developers on the team to date.
138 If everybody would rather have an informal IRC session or email tally
139 than a vote, that's fine with us.
140
141 > My vision on Portage for OSX is exactly what the name says; portage
142 > on OSX, thus a portage instance next to the original OS, so I can
143 > enjoy the flexibility and package availability of portage and the
144 > sweetness of my OS. I am willing to accept that I can't install
145 > autofs on a Mac OS X machine. Maybe it sucks, but then you better
146 > install Linux on it afterall. A Mac is different, thinks
147 > different, and yet, well... maybe I just like that. In portage
148 > terms this is called "collission-protect". Great!
149
150 We have the same vision.
151
152 > Now it seems to me, after paying careful attention to some of the
153 > comments made in the #-osx channel that this vision of mine, which
154 > equals the current 'distribution' I think, can be considered the
155 > unwanted child in the Gentoo family. Ok, it will be always a
156 > bastard child, like Portaris would be, but someone started with
157 > this idea, and got it into portage somehow. How did this whole
158 > thing emerge within the Gentoo community, and what happened
159 > afterwards to get into the stage it is in now?
160
161 Kito did a pretty good job summing this up in his own reply. I think
162 it's important to note that this vision is changing in terms of
163 respect for Gentoo for Mac OS X developers. A lot of the old-time
164 devs still voice dislike for the idea of a metadistribution, either
165 because of the way it's being implemented or because they preferred
166 things when it was just Gentoo Linux.
167
168 > Ok, this probably all sounds a bit depressing, or put differently,
169 > quite unpromissing. However, all I need for now is some guide into
170 > the wilderness I guess. What are the (common) targets of the
171 > team? What is it 'we' want to achieve? Who thinks what?
172
173 The team has a number of different targets. Our targets differ from
174 Kito's, as do our views on the efficacy of portage co-existing with
175 Mac OS X. I think a common goal is a working implementation of
176 prefixable installs, but this is a goal for the next major portage
177 release, so it will take some time. Currently, Lina's goal is to
178 increase upstream support for darwin, and to maintain Gentoo for Mac
179 OS X as a viable platform for biologists. Hasan is involved with both
180 long-term and short-term strategic needs of the project, in terms of
181 interacting with the portage team, core system tools (pretty much
182 anything that's base-system), and marketing (getting the most desired
183 packages working, documentation, etc.).
184
185 It's really hard to have a common target without having any leads.
186 We're working on it. I think that we need to recognize two major
187 different facets of the Gentoo for Mac OS X project -- the Darwin
188 side and the Mac OS X side. The strongest tie between these, in terms
189 of porting, being common linker woes.
190
191 > I hope somehow to become a valuable/active member of the team, but
192 > so far I think I haven't had the opportunity to do so.
193
194 You already are. Just don't push yourself too hard. :) Large change/
195 progress takes time.
199 Hasan Khalil && Lina Pezzella
200 eBuild and Porting Co-Leads
201 Gentoo for Mac OS X