From: Kito <kito@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] The road ahead?
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 20:59:18
1 On Nov 1, 2005, at 2:45 PM, Grobian wrote:
5 > Kito wrote:
6 >> On Nov 1, 2005, at 2:21 PM, Grobian wrote:
7 >>> I'm also happy to see this way as an option at least. I don't
8 >>> have good arguments yet, but I feel there's more in it somehow.
9 >>>
10 >>> On the other hand, (turning my head over to *our* glep42) it
11 >>> imposes a problem that needs to be addressable somehow by having
12 >>> the handles to dynamically do the right things depending on apple/
13 >>> gnu cc-suite, if you get what I mean.
14 >> Wouldn't extending tc_get* be sufficient?
15 >
16 > Probably, but at the moment we already make the wrong assumption of
17 > doing:
18 >
19 > #ifdef __APPLE__
20 > #include <malloc/malloc.h>
21 > #else
22 > #include <malloc.h>
23 > #endif
24 >
25 > and then calling it a darwin patch. It's an apple patch basically,
26 > but I don't know the darwin counterpart, if it would exist.
27
28 Its the same on darwin. Remember, the saying is 'Never ever try to
29 determine if you are on Darwin or OS X, just check for
30 functionality". The above example is fine, however this would
31 obviously not be:
32
33 #ifdef __APPLE__
34 #include <QuickTime/QuickTime.h>
35 #endif
36
37 As this blindly assumes the proprietary frameworks are available.
38 Anyway, I suppose custom defines are always an option too, though I'm
39 not sure its really warranted at this point...
42 > What I want to say, is that not only do we need to have the right
43 > handles to get the data we need, we also need the right methods
44 > (maybe even configure checks?) to do the right things depending on
45 > another compiler/linker.
46
47 The linker will always be the same for the foreseeable future on any
48 Darwin/OS X system, the compiler can and will change however...I
49 really would't be too surprised to see them start shipping ICC at
50 some point...
51
52 > Upstream uses __APPLE__ as well. We can't expect upstream to have
53 > support for Gentoo's setup with standard compiler/linker, so if we
54 > would like to support that I think we should consider using
55 > conditionals again and/or maybe override some defines the hard way
56 > to get what we want.
57 >
58 > Conclusion at my side of the story is that going the way of using
59 > (or immitating) Apple's build tools is the one of least resistance
60 > for now.
61
62 Yeah, pretty much my same thought. The big advantage, is since we can
63 build from source unlike when relying on Xcode, we can add our own
64 goodies to make ebuild maintaining a little easier... the -Wl,-z,now
65 situation comes to mind, patching our ld to deal with those options
66 would be a far cleaner solution than having to fight it out on -dev@
67 trying to get linux folks to change their ways...
68
69 --Kito
72 gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list