From: Finn Thain <fthain@××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Some Introduction
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 10:51:34
On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Grobian wrote:

> > Kito wrote: >
[snip]
> [...]
If you will humour me, what's the difference? Apart from prefix, what distinguishes profiles that manage the host OS and profiles that don't? (Given that a profile can change just about every aspect of portage's behaviour.) The reason I ask is this: greedily, I want Kito's /gentoo on an external drive, and I also want to chroot into it sometimes [1]. The implication being, 'Portage for Mac OS X' would have to be equivalent to 'Gentoo for Mac OS X'. This idea extrapolates from the original pathspec, which described a self-similar directory structure. (I guess the idea was that the ebuilds shouldn't have to care.) Anyway, as someone who doesn't cut any code for this project, I think I should stop making outrageous demands now ;-) -f [1] This can be done (I learned this trick from Ryan Oliver's Pure LFS technique). You install everything prefixed /Volumes/Gentoo, then mkdir /Volumes/Gentoo/Volumes ln -s ../.. /Volumes/Gentoo/Volumes/Gentoo chroot /Volumes/Gentoo Outside the chroot, /etc/make.profile defines the prefix as /Volumes/Gentoo, whilst inside the chroot, /etc/make.profile uses the same prefix. The chroot profile may need to be different, if portage is expecting Mac OS X here... hence my initial question, "What's the difference?" I'm assuming that any required OS X libraries have been copied to the Gentoo volume first, and the psuedo filesystems mounted (as with any chroot). -- gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list