From: Kito <kito@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] xorg-x11
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 05:55:06
On Oct 12, 2005, at 12:34 AM, Grobian wrote:

> Lina Pezzella wrote: > >> On Oct 10, 2005, at 6:19 PM, Mike wrote: >> >>> I want to make xorg-x11 available for mac-os or macos (whichever the >>> >> If you're happy to let portage overwrite Apple-provided files >> (note: dependencies may cause more files to be overwritten than >> you anticipated) then you can do this by changing your profile to >> the "Progressive" profile. This is easily done by setting the >> symlink /etc/make.profile point to /usr/portage/profiles/default- >> darwin/macos/progressive. >> > > I think some people willl be interested in running Xorg instead of > AppleX11. Knowing how to compile it is nice for when we will be > able to install everything without collising like fink does.
Efforts might be best spent on the modular xorg ebuilds, as I'm sure the gentoo xorg maintainers will want to ditch the monolithic ebuilds at some point down the road...although there might be too much voodoo in getting XDarwin.app etc. installed properly for the gentoo xorg maintainers to stomach, so perhaps xorg-darwin is a possibility...
>> My current understanding is that the only active developer working >> on the progressive profile is Kito. If you're interested in >> testing for >> > > I'd say there is noone working on the progressive profile at the > moment. As far as I know, Kito doesn't have a progressive setup as > well. Hopefully the progressive profile will be deprecated eventually.
Not sure what gave you that idea...its the only profile for OS X I find useful :p I know a few others are using it as well. Its basically the proving ground for the portage base-system packages. Its also whats used for Darwin development, as building Darwin system packages requires a heavily modified OS X environment. I don't plan on deprecating it at all, if you feel strongly otherwise, maybe you should split the profiles up (again) and let the collision-protect profiles that install packages to / (non-prefixed) live in profiles/ default-macos and leave profiles/default-darwin for, well, darwin. --Kito -- gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list