From: Mike <michael_six@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-osx] xorg-x11
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 22:19:30
Hello list, I am a new developer for this project, transferring from
fink.  First thing's first.  I am not sure what the goal of this project
is, which goes directly to the first package I want to make.  Is the
goal here like fink to bring OSS to Darwin/OSX?  I want to make xorg-x11
available for mac-os or macos (whichever the keyword is) and with gcc3.3
selected it compiles fine, into XDarwin, but this would overwrite
Apple's installed /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11 for new entries.  I have not
run into any conflicting packages yet so I am not sure, but is there a
way that this is possible.

I just know what I read and I read that if a package tries to overwrite
something Apple installed then it will fail.  BTW I am using 10.4.2 and
Xcode 2.1 with gcc4 selected, so I will also have to read more into
making ebuilds to know if you can use a gcc selector for 3.3 because the
last timne I compiled XDarwin with 4.0 (yesterday) it didn't produce the
XDarwin.app , and startx didn't do anything.

Now in closing let me say that I am excited about doing what I can for
this project, I love gentoo linux, so this was only the next logical
step for me.  Let me know how I can help

Mike S