From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Documentation Update
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:06:09
1 Hasan Khalil wrote:
2 >
3 > On Aug 10, 2005, at 24:42, Grobian wrote:
4 >
5 >> | Note: With each emerge --sync, the /usr/portage directory is wiped of
6 >> | any user changes. Be sure to keep a log of your development efforts
7 >> | and report your findings to the Gentoo for Mac OS X team.
8 >>
9 >> Ehm, is this really true? I vaguely remember in my first days doing
10 >> this thinking a sync would wipe out my mess, then coming to the
11 >> conclusion it didn't. I don't know exactly how rsync is being called,
12 >> but if a file is newer on the target host, than on the server, is it
13 >> overwritten? I thought rsync is able to optimise by only beaming over
14 >> the changed files on the server side, preventing copying all of the
15 >> files (550MB currently). Somebody slap me with the man page and the
16 >> massive number of options supplied to rsync when running emerge sync
17 >> if I see ghosts here...
18 >
19 > AFAIK, yes. Any time I've made changes to /usr/portage and then did a
20 > sync, regardless of whether or not there was an actual update to that
21 > file in the meanwhile, my changes were overwritten.
22 >
23 > Feel free to attack me with a medium-sized herring if I'm completely
24 > wrong in throwing in said <note>. I just thought that note would be a
25 > nice thing to have in there for anyone who was confused at this
26 > functionality. If anyone feels as though it shouldn't be there, please
27 > let me know and I'd be glad to remove it.
28
29 I'm just unsure about it. It think it would be best to anyhow
30 disencourage people to mess with their /usr/portage/ (shoot no, auto
31 completion here ;)). I learnt it somehow the hard way that it is not
32 'handy' to hack that tree ;)
33 /me mumbles something about lost sources, etc...
37 Fabian Groffen
38 eBuild && Porting
39 Gentoo for Mac OS X
40 --