From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Followup to: The road ahead?
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 10:25:56
1 On 27-11-2005 09:52:20 +0100, dirk.schoenberger@×××××××××.de wrote:
2 > > > In fact, both. the first step would obviously be to build some basic GUI
3 > > > around some interesting console applications.
4 >
5 > > Like? What kinds of applications are you thinking of here? Just help
6 > > me with ideas here, because I wouldn't see the use of a GUI wrapper for
7 > > sed. A GUI for pdflatex on the other hand is nice, but already exists
8 > > (TeXshop).
9 >
10 > What I miss in my last mail
11 >
12 > - a frontend to a website cheker. Currently I found weblint (written in
13 > Perl, which I got to emerge) and net-analyzer/linkchecker, which doesn't
14 > work (without using progressive, because it depends on Python 2.4)
15
16 OT: did you install Python 2.4 in the end?
17
18 > > > It is possibly to implement the actual script without using Gentoo, so
19 > > > this I could do without help. For integrating this stuff and porting the
20 > > > needed prerequisites, I think I would hae to ask for help from Gentoo
21 > > > developers... ;)
22 >
23 > > Hmmm... Interesting!
24 >
25 > > I'd like to see your plans here, like what you envision, and what you
26 > > think would be necessary to do. Where exactly you'd need help, and what
27 > > you can deliver. :) You can always do your own thing, and I'd like to
28 > > encourage that. Keep us posted!
29 >
30 > I could see multiple things, in something like the following order
31 >
32 > 1) a port of Renaissance to cocoa. Because there already exist a binary
33 > distribution, porting must be possible. Perhaps a special USE flag is
34 > needed, for somebody who want to keep parallel versions for GNUstep/X and
35 > Cocoa in parallel.
36
37 The keyword aqua comes to mind... Kito and I had a discussion about it
38 the other day, but the idea is right I think.
39
40 > 2) check if it is useful to create ebuilds for py2app and PyObjc. I am not
41 > quite sure about the dependencies these packages should have. It would be
42 > good if they are not Macos specific, but could be used in Gentoo / Linux.
43 > Possbly of interest for GNUstep.
44
45 Sure. Objective-C is just something which you should have compiled when
46 emerging gcc, but GNUstep users (like me, surprise, eh?) will probably
47 be able to benefit from these efforts. Question remains who else could
48 benefit from it, because the number of Gentoo/GNUstep users is rather
49 small, IMHO.
50
51 > 3) I would see if I could do my frontend ideas, and if I am successful, I
52 > would like to add these to the ebuilds. I would like to see some sepecial
53 > USE flags (USE=gui?) where these frontends are emerged. Again, by using
54 > the packages, this could be interesting for Gentoo Linux too (even if I
55 > think that there are not so many people interested in a GNUstep based GUI,
56 > yet ;))
57
58 If I recall correctly, there are special eclasses that for instance
59 allow to place an icon on the desktop of the user (transparently to what
60 window manager the user uses). I could imagine that we would use a
61 similar structure where we install such small drop-in or little script
62 in a place, only if on OSX (or GNUstep, Gnome, KDE?). You can see it as
63 addon.
64
65 > 4) discuss the possibilities for a Gentoo GUI frontend - check for needed
66 > features and possible solutions. If it makes sense to use my proposed
67 > solution, I would be fine with helping with an implementation.
68
69 The GentooUI (pronounced as 'gentoo-e' ? :p ), or iGentoo can be
70 developed in a separate track from the others. However, it would be a
71 waste if it would be developed such that nothing of it can be reused for
72 other Gentoo/X projects.
76 Fabian Groffen
77 Gentoo for Mac OS X Project -- Interim Lead
78 --
79 gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list