From: Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] Advice for CFLAGS
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 09:29:08
1 Am Freitag 08 Juni 2007 07:35 schrieb Daniel Armyr:
2 > > Well, I suppose that's part of the problem. What does O3 improve?
3 >
4 > I cannot speak for the -03 from gcc specifically, but most
5 > optimizations tend to increase the processes within the CPU. Further,
6 > for them to help, the compiler tends to need to, at compile time, know
7 > how the code will run. As such, it does almost nothing for event-driven
8 > code like the entire X-windows system. Further, I would like to see the
9 > linux computer today which has a processing problem when it comes to X.
10 > The disk-access times to load binaries far overshadow anything
11 > processor related in all computers I have seen.
12 >
13 > My suggestion to the general user: Get raided, super-fast scsi disks and
14 > a mobo with low-latency memory if you want a truly fast computer.
15
16 In other words, there is no clear answer but my chances are quiet bad.
17
18 I think I'll try around a bit. I'll prepare three images on my desktop, one
19 Os, one O2 and one O3.
20
21 Then I'll post my experience...