From: Colin Kingsley <ckingsley@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o, gpark@××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] swap?
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:37:21
1 On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 08:59:38 -0600, Gyujin Park <gpark@××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I've recently switched to Gentoo, and the server was running fine until there was
3 > a problem with SWAP.
4 >
5 > Gentoo Server Performance decreased and of course Physical Memory was high and
6 > warning was sent to root, me.
7 >
8 > I've correctly mkswap /dev/hda2
9 > and correctly swapon -a
10 >
11 > However, it gives me resource busy.
12 >
13 > Also, when I do
14 >
15 > free
16 >
17 > it shows no swap is used even though physical memory level is 98%.
18
19 free shows no swap used on my system either. and 90% or more physical
20 memory use is standard for the linux kernel.
21
22 > Of course, the system gets unstable and forces me to shutdown some services,
23 > which brings down to about 95%.
24 > Why doesn't Gentoo utilitze swap?
25
26 What exactly are your stability issues? I've neer had a problem like
27 this, and a more descriptive error would be helpfull. Keep in mind
28 that this probably isnt gentoo specific, maybe you havent added an
29 entry to /etc/fstab for your swap partition?
30
31 > also, I'm only running mysql, http, vsftpd.
32 > What is the problem with Gentoo performance, whenever I add people and put a
33 > quota on, and restart quota service? The it eats Memory.
34
35 sorry, never used quotas
36
37 > Thanks,