From: Colin Kingsley <ckingsley@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o, gpark@××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] swap?
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:37:21
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 08:59:38 -0600, Gyujin Park <gpark@××××××.com> wrote:
> I've recently switched to Gentoo, and the server was running fine until there was > a problem with SWAP. > > Gentoo Server Performance decreased and of course Physical Memory was high and > warning was sent to root, me. > > I've correctly mkswap /dev/hda2 > and correctly swapon -a > > However, it gives me resource busy. > > Also, when I do > > free > > it shows no swap is used even though physical memory level is 98%.
free shows no swap used on my system either. and 90% or more physical memory use is standard for the linux kernel.
> Of course, the system gets unstable and forces me to shutdown some services, > which brings down to about 95%. > Why doesn't Gentoo utilitze swap?
What exactly are your stability issues? I've neer had a problem like this, and a more descriptive error would be helpfull. Keep in mind that this probably isnt gentoo specific, maybe you havent added an entry to /etc/fstab for your swap partition?
> also, I'm only running mysql, http, vsftpd. > What is the problem with Gentoo performance, whenever I add people and put a > quota on, and restart quota service? The it eats Memory.
sorry, never used quotas