From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] gentoo-performance
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 07:49:21
quoth the Christopher Bergström:
> darren kirby wrote: > quoth the Jeremy Brake: > > How about speeding up the wait time on updating the portage cache after > a sync.. even on my AMD 64 3500 it takes a number of minutes to chug > through.. > are there any known ways to "vrrmmm" this up a little? > > > +1 > > Mine sped up for all of a day, but is slow as molasses once again. If I did > my syncs during the day it might even peeve me... > > What kind of hardware are you guys running on?  My laptop isn't on cron > and I do it every couple days or so and it finishes in around 15-30 > minutes.. I've never really paid any attention.. How long is yours taking?
It doesn't make a difference what hardware. I have 4 boxes that run gentoo (Athlon 2200, Athlon 3200, Apple G4, Sparc U60) and they all run the actual sync quite fast, but the 50%-51% takes from 5 minutes on the 3200 to 30 minutes on the G4 and U60. As I mentioned though, I don't let this bother me as I generally sync ~4:00am whilst sleeping.