From: Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] Advice for CFLAGS
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 20:44:05
1 Am Donnerstag 07 Juni 2007 21:47 schrieb Daniel Armyr:
2 > > Now I'm wondering if a more frequent use of O3 might be a good idea
3 > > because of that much cache or if it would just fill up my RAM.
4 >
5 > Which application is it you will run that you feel will need those
6 > extra few percent in performance that the optimizations can give you?
7 >
8 > --DA
9
10 Well, I suppose that's part of the problem. What does O3 improve?
11
12 Does it decrease the CPU-load of stuff like mplayer? Does it improve the
13 response speed of window managers and typical office and internet
14 applications? Or does ist just help when it comes to pure ALU and FPU power,
15 for example bzip2, gcc or spamassassin?