From: Daniel Armyr <daniel.armyr@××××.se>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-performance] Gentoo-performance forum?
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:54:11
1 Which parameters do you intend on including?
2 Only hardware or kernel-configs as well? Compiler flags?
3 Hardware settings?
4
5 -----Original Message-----
6 From: Joel Merrick [mailto:joel@×××××××××××.com]
7 Sent: den 12 oktober 2004 12:39
8 To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
9 Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] Gentoo-performance forum?
12 Lance Albertson wrote:
13
14 >Roman Gaufman wrote:
18 >>I think it would be a good idea to have a gentoo-performance forum
19 >>section, so performance related threads wont have to go to "Other
20 >>Things Gentoo". Your thoughts?
24 >I just chatted with one of the forums admins and he said that we won't
25 >be adding any new forums until phpBB 2.2 is released. Thats mainly
26 >because managing with the current version is a major PITA from what I
27 >hear. *BUT* That doesn't mean that you'll see this forum created. The
28 >forums are currently structured more in a "task/purpose than by goal"
29 >way. So, having a goal of performance wouldn't really fit the structure
30
31 >we have right now.
35 Just to let you peeps now, I've been thinking about this last night and
36 I'd love it if there was just a (simple) form where people could enter
37 their system credentials and benchmark results.
38
39 I'm going to do a little bit of investigation tonight in terms of
40 looking at standardised benchmarks.. I believe, from a bit of searching,
41
42 that the whole arena of benchmarking is a big mamma!
43
44 Wish me luck! If I get anything that looks like a go-er, I'll fire a
45 (probably crap) PHP page together, where people can input their system
46 specifics... and list them in a grid-matrix kinda view (it'd be a bit
47 easier to read than just forum posts i.m.h.o. and may provide a decent
48 intermediate until someone works out a MUCH clever system, lol)
49
50 Does anyone know if there's anything like this for other distros
51 (although due to Gentoo's lurvely package build system, I doubt we'd be
52 able to draw true comparisons)
53
54 Sorry if i'm rambling.... heh.
57 gentoo-performance@g.o mailing list