From: Colin Kingsley <ckingsley@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o, gpark@××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] swap?
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 05:35:28
I'm glad you got your server running well, good luck making gentoo
your server OS:)

>I think the best solution for laptop users is to customize their own
kernel, and
>tweak some settings about swap. (which I don't know.. since I am not a guru.)
Yea, that is helpfull in preserving battery life. Other power managment (pbbuttonsd, acpi) are also a big help, so is process or clock frequency scaling and utilities that will spin down your hard drive.
>I personally never used Linux in a laptop. (I see no reason why, since Mac >Panther is Unix Core, BSD... Although I really like Gentoo MAC thing.)
I have an apple laptop, and used OSX for 2 years. I agree, it is a spectacular OS and the OpenDarwin that it is built on is a solid reliable unix foundation. I choose to run linux because I feel that for those who can handle it, linux is a superior OS. Sort of like driving a standard transmission car - its not for everybody, but if you know how, its a better choice. Also, its more fun:) -- gentoo-performance@g.o mailing list