From: Joel Merrick <joel@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] Gentoo-performance forum?
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:39:29
Lance Albertson wrote:

>Roman Gaufman wrote: > > > >>I think it would be a good idea to have a gentoo-performance forum >>section, so performance related threads wont have to go to "Other >>Things Gentoo". Your thoughts? >> >> > >I just chatted with one of the forums admins and he said that we won't be adding >any new forums until phpBB 2.2 is released. Thats mainly because managing with >the current version is a major PITA from what I hear. *BUT* That doesn't mean >that you'll see this forum created. The forums are currently structured more in >a "task/purpose than by goal" way. So, having a goal of performance wouldn't >really fit the structure we have right now. > > >
Just to let you peeps now, I've been thinking about this last night and I'd love it if there was just a (simple) form where people could enter their system credentials and benchmark results. I'm going to do a little bit of investigation tonight in terms of looking at standardised benchmarks.. I believe, from a bit of searching, that the whole arena of benchmarking is a big mamma! Wish me luck! If I get anything that looks like a go-er, I'll fire a (probably crap) PHP page together, where people can input their system specifics... and list them in a grid-matrix kinda view (it'd be a bit easier to read than just forum posts i.m.h.o. and may provide a decent intermediate until someone works out a MUCH clever system, lol) Does anyone know if there's anything like this for other distros (although due to Gentoo's lurvely package build system, I doubt we'd be able to draw true comparisons) Sorry if i'm rambling.... heh. -- gentoo-performance@g.o mailing list