From: Ritesh Kumar <ritesh@××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] TCP perfomance
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 16:54:44
There are quite a few things that make TCP performance degrade. Is there a
specific reason why you thought about TCP timestamps?
A good way to know is to launch a TCP connection and get it to a stage where
you can clearly see its performance suffer. Then first take a look at the
CPU usage... if its 100% only then you should conclude that the problem is
with the CPU usage aspect of it.
In my experience, there can be many other things that may go wrong. There
are quite a few 'TCP tuning' faqs around the Internet. You might want to go
through a few to see some commonly used solutions.

OTOH, TCP timestamps are an important part of TCP... may be not for a LAN
like system but definitely for a complicated network like the Internet,
where timestamps help TCP to easily infer round trip times with much more
precision than otherwise.

_r