From: lnxg33k <lnxg33k@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] More portage questions
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 02:38:40
1 Alec Warner wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > lnxg33k wrote:
6 >> I added the metadata/some-cat to the rsync_exclude list by prefacing
7 >> every entry with an '*'. Vastly increased the 2nd phase of sync'ing and
8 >> cleared up some storage. I gather that the the cached files end up in
9 > *laughs*
10 >
11 >> "/var/cache/edb/dep/usr/portage/". Would purging the rsync_exclude
12 >> entries here cause any problems? I'm guessing that `emerge -S` searches
13 >> would be faster as there are less entries to check. There's also the
14 >> storage issue as well. Thanks
15 >
16 > Maybe the benifit is good for you. Those metadata directories in the
17 > tree are important because generating portage metadata is costly in
18 > terms of time. Thats WHY we do it.
19 >
20 > When you exclude those directories ( or all of metadata/ ) you are
21 > merely moving the cache time from emerge --sync to emerge <blar>.
22 > Portage will notice the stale cache and regenerate the metadata on the
23 > fly. As noted earlier, this generation is SLOW. Maybe you notice,
24 > maybe you do not. It really depends on whether the queries you run
25 > against portage hit the areas that lack on-disk metadata.
26 >
27 > For extra fun, try rm -rf /var/cache/edb/dep/usr, then an emerge --regen
28 > and tell me it's fast ;)
29 >
30 > As for the emerge -S bit, it won't be any faster. It still iterates
31 > over the whole tree, and once again, portage will generate the metadata
32 > locally = slower. Use another tool, ( eix,esearch ) they are better for
33 > this IMHO. Sorry it doesn't come all built into one tool, we are
34 > working on it.
35 >
36 > Alec Warner (antarus)
37 <snip>
38
39 Heh heh. I should hit the books or something. ;) Actually, I rarely search and
40 haven't emerged anything so I haven't had the chance to see the effects of my
41 "insight". I keep thinking "less files = faster 'x' because nothing to do". I
42 had eix installed until today when I realized I never searched. Anyway, thanks
43 once again for the err in thinking.
44 --
45 gentoo-performance@g.o mailing list